Has Lite-On ever addressed

vbimport

…why their DVD-Burners don’t support Mt. Rainier? I’d hate to have to go back to packet writing. Have they ever talked about addressing the issue in a firmware upgrade?

aeh you know that the most DVD-Burners don’t support that ?

I must say when i look at the situation with mt. rainier you could say nobody cares about that.
Thats somehow my thought.
Dunno why they dont equip their drives with that feature.
Maybe there are only a few people who are in need for it ?

A question of demand - If you look around - how many DVD burners support it ? Precisely my point too. Maybe CodeKing can create a patch :smiley: (I don’t think it is that easy though).

:eek: I’ll pass on that one… :bigsmile:

but does the hardware support this feature?

Yes, it’s just a firmware change, that’s why most CD-RWs were able to add it later. In saying that I don’t think there would be enough room in the Liteon flash for the amount of code it would require…

just for fun: would there be enough room if you remove another feature, say -r/rw support?

Good idea :smiley:

Or perhaps REMOVE the media codes you never use…

I can already see the smoke coming out of LITEON’s lawyers :slight_smile:

Probably but we are talking about a near impossible task anyway…

If you had it supported, how would you use it? XP doesn’t support it for your DVD writer and probably never will. Maybee in Longhorn, but there are taking features out faster than you can blink and I don’t see that at the top of there list.

can I ask you guys a question?
what is Mt. Rainier???

I think its where Huey, Duey and Loey are engraved in granite.

Sorry couldn’t resist

mt rainer is in my state, its a volcano :slight_smile:

DVD-RAM is better than Mt. Rainier. get a LG writer if you really need such a feature…

explanation:
Mt. Rainier, also known as EasyWrite, is a format specified by Microsoft, Sony, Philips and Hewlett-Packard to allow an optical disc to be used exactly like a floppy disk. That is, being able to read from and write to the disc from within any application you use, without the need for special burning software. Mt. Rainier differs from traditional packet writing software in that it performs most of the tasks (such as background formatting and handling defect management) in the hardware of the drive itself, making the system far more robust, and relieving the operating system from these tasks. Mt. Rainier will be a standard part of the forthcoming Microsoft Windows version, called Longhorn. Mt. Rainier capability is available for CD-RW and DVD+RW only. Look for the EasyWrite logo on the front of a drive to determine if it is Mt. Rainier compliant.

:::

This is EasyWrite Logo…!

:::

Current versions of Nero InCD support Mt. Rainier, as does Roxio’s Drag to disk - Operating system issues are just an excuse, as if you had a Mt. Rainer drive, you’d have compatible software with it.

Essentially, it is hardware assisted packet write, with formatting and defect management in the hardware.