Has anyone used the Teac p-55 Thermal disc printer?

vbimport

Thanks Xscream,

I would like to know why you think thermal printer is so popular in North America and Europe? Given that the price of the printer is much more expensive than the inkjet printer. Why don’t they prefer to use the inkjet printer?

I am staying in developing country, therefore I need to search and study it before I buy this thermal printer. Thanks

Most of the high end systems that are integrated don’t have an inkjet option. By high end I’m not speaking of high volume. The people that require networked disc production that is then integrated into a larger workflow (anything from PACS to order fulfillment) basically are left with Rimage or Microtech. Rimage only has thermal printers on the high end, Microtech has a mixture – but defiantly pushes thermal.

Inkjet can be cheaper and mathematically does have a higher resolution - don’t take that at face value. In order to make a disc basically permeate you’d need to use a Watershield (or similar) disc with inkjet driving up the cost. Even then, it’s not as permeate as thermal retransfer. I’ve yet to find an inkjet combination that is as close to silkscreen or off-set printing as thermal retransfer in terms of quality. Keep in mind, these minor imperfections left by inkjet printing are not a big deal for most of the public - but if you’re the manufacture of a top of the line system - why not have the best printer?

Reliability and yield are another concern for inkjet. Until someone has a reliable ink well monitor you’re never going to know the yield of a machine. If you have a machine that needs to make 400 discs tonight, there is not cost effective way to know that using inkjet.

Inkjet resolutions of 4800 DPI are factored using a stochastic print, multiple dots are overlaid to generate the DPI. The Everest 600 is 600 DPI, but there is zero overlay. The difference? Inkjet doesn’t have as sharp of text but frequently has a smoother gradation until the latest generation thermal retransfer printers.

This boils down to marketing. Inkjet can do a very, very good job. But with some more money there is a “better” option out there. “Better” for high end customers that are willing to put more money into hardware and cost-per-print in order to get a slightly better looking disc with a more predictable yield.

Sorry for late reply.
The OP is pretty accurate.
One point I really want to make is about resolution.
On face value you may thing that resolution is the most important thing. However, inkjet printers can do incredible dpi but can’t touch the quality of the TEAC at 400dpi.
I am yet to see a sample fo the Rimage Everest 600 dpi model but I dare say again, resolution is not the determining factor. The fact is the Rimage is not a CMYK printer and it does not do dye sublimation like the TEAC.
All I can compare is the Rimage Everest III and the TEAC- the TEAC is better (and cheaper outlay cost).
The Rimage Everest 600 is even more expensive than the Everest III and at some stage the outlay cost has to be regained, meaning higher charges for jobs.

1. No, inkjet is always cheaper
  2. Yes (In Australia)

I think that many inkjet systems can be cheaper, but think of the old lexmark engines used in many primera boxes, there is no way you can do 100% coverage and hit 30 cents per print. That’s not the only one, but a great example. Newer ones, you’re right. Take a Microboards PF Pro, full coverage, 11 cents.

Have to disagree with you there. I have a Primera XRP as well.

Lets look at yields vs costs per disc. Prices based on current RRP exclusing GST in Australia. I know these prices because I sell 'em.

Example 1. Primera Bravo Pro / XRP or Bravo SE (compatible with same high yield cart)
Color cart 24 ml = $69.05
Average yield per cart (full face color) = 220 discs
Average cost per full face disc AU $0.31

Example 2. TEAC P-55 (is fixed cost per disc print)
Ribbon Versamax 500 prints @ $263.59 = AU$ 0.53
Ribbon Color 500 prints @ $281.77 = AU$ 0.56
Ribbon Photo 500 prints @ $363.59 = AU$ 0.73

There is no doubt inkjet printing is cheaper but also inferior.

The Bravo Pro/XRP are on a newer engine, I’m talking Sig II/III/IV/Pro era.

Another thing to take into consideration is the AU dollar price exchange to the US dollar. Manufactures don’t use the same adjustment methods which can effect the results. The delta between the P55 using the CYMK ribbon and inkjet isn’t as great in the states.

[QUOTE=on2dvd;2417495]No. I buy ribbons in my country (Australia). I buy wholesale (I also resell) so I know the cost comparrison. The TEAC is a fair bit more even when you consider that the transfer ribbons are not included with the Everest. I mean compared to the Photo ribbon and of course there is no TEAC compatible (cheaper third party) ribbons as there are for Everest.[/QUOTE]

I am in the market for the Teac P55 as well and have a question for you all. I do high end wedding video so my print batches are short runs and sometimes far between (weeks to months).

How fast to the ribbons dry out? Would a Teac photo ribbon (300+ discs) last a year in the printer?

also, if anyone has a used one for sale I am interested.

[QUOTE=kwilsonjr;2490257]I am in the market for the Teac P55 as well and have a question for you all. I do high end wedding video so my print batches are short runs and sometimes far between (weeks to months).

How fast to the ribbons dry out? Would a Teac photo ribbon (300+ discs) last a year in the printer?[/QUOTE]
I would like to know the answer to that myself. Anyone?

I believe that the photo ribbon gets a 500 disc yield, just like the other two ribbons.

Hi all,

Thermal disc printers are too high end for me at the moment.
But how would you compare a normal inkjet printer like Canon Pixma MG6170 and sth. like Primera BravoPro?

I’m only concerned with quality of the print, so let’s ignore that BravoPro loads automatically for a moment.

1. How much of an improvement in image quality does the BravoPro has over Canon?

2. What’s the cost per disc for both printers? From what I read in the thread, the cost for BravoPro is about 0.31 AU per disc, close to 0.31 USD at the moment.

Appreciate any suggestion that you have.
Tao

Anone know the difference between the Teac P-55B and P-55C?
Thanks

[QUOTE=kwilsonjr;2490257]I am in the market for the Teac P55 as well and have a question for you all. I do high end wedding video so my print batches are short runs and sometimes far between (weeks to months).

How fast to the ribbons dry out? Would a Teac photo ribbon (300+ discs) last a year in the printer?[/QUOTE]

Well, I apologize for not knowing there were more questions. It has been a long time but to answer the question.

I don’t think they dry out at all, I do not really know the answer.

[QUOTE=rabbitaoy;2576455]Hi all,

Thermal disc printers are too high end for me at the moment.
But how would you compare a normal inkjet printer like Canon Pixma MG6170 and sth. like Primera BravoPro?

I’m only concerned with quality of the print, so let’s ignore that BravoPro loads automatically for a moment.

1. How much of an improvement in image quality does the BravoPro has over Canon?

2. What’s the cost per disc for both printers? From what I read in the thread, the cost for BravoPro is about 0.31 AU per disc, close to 0.31 USD at the moment.

Appreciate any suggestion that you have.
Tao[/QUOTE]

1. No improvement in quality, automation is the thing you gain,
  2. New models 41x series costs less than that

Have one good condition TEAC P-55 for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160870227466&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123#ht_500wt_1414

Will ship worldwide. Buyer takes care of customs and customs fees.

has the teac been sold??

Hi guys. I have a Teac P55 for sale. I am in Johannesburg in South Africa.

I would like to get about US$500 for it. Buyer takes care of shipping and customs.

I am available on WhatsApp +27722036633

Thanks, Al.