Has Anyone Used Acronis "True Image" To Migrate From One Computer To A New One?

Yo-

Just bought a new computer and am wondering if I can use a Acronis “True Image” backup to migrate from the old XP Home based one to the new XP Media Center 2005 one-

Your thoughts and input would sincerely be appreciated-

TIA

Mike

I tried that but it don’t work.

You can’t use a true image backup but must use the “Clone disc” tool. If you use only the image, the new disc will not be recognized as active, and don’t work. I tried with my bros computer, and only “clone disc” worked (and actually the clone tool works very fine :iagree: ).

I have used ton of backup applications but I must say True Image was the best experience I had. it is fast, it has many features, and the latest version 8 ro above allows select folders/filders backup/restore.

There is a CLONE DISC feature which copies your entire hard drive bit for bit, including partitions, boot, etc… Ideal for making a security backup on an extra HDD in case your initial crashes.

Be careful when installing such drives on a new system - you will need to update your motherboard drivers, etc… if necessary of course (new system type). More than likely your windows should detect this - in some cases you might need discs for some specific drivers.

Be prepared for problems from your Win authentication if you transfer everything.

If the hardware is not the same on both systems then it will absolutely not work.
The same image cannot be transferred to a machine with completely different HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer).
You would have to first prepare the image with Sysprep.

It is possible to deploy an image to as many clients as you wish with Acronis and Sysprep.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prbc_cai_vnve.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577&sd=tech

Yo-

Thank you for all the thoughtful and qualified answers-

Is there some other program out there that will assure a clean move from one computer to another?

Thanks again-

Mike

format <insert system volume here>

you will only have problem if you want your current software setup to work with a completely new hardware…

BUT you could mount the Acronis Image in Acronis’s “v-drive” (or whatever they call it) just to get your important data out of it.

this way, you won’t lose it, at least.

but, IMHO, if you have a new system, you should take the time and set it up from scratch…

I’ve used acronis for a few months and like greg42, it’s the best bkup/cloning tool I’ve ever used…marked improvement over ghost. However, while I’m for sure no expert, I agree with Razor1982, “…if you have a new system, you should take the time and set it up from scratch…”

Works flawlessly. Have done it several times.

Yo Golfmore-

Could you elaborate on that statment - please-

Would appreciate it-

Mike

Hi Mike

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the hardware was the same; my bros needed only to change HD with a new one, avoiding to reinstall all, and with clone disc he can do the work in a matter of minutes. The most of time is necessary to do the image (it required about 15 min at max compression, and anyway is related to CPU power), but to restore the image it required only 5 min. It worked without problems.

With a different hardware I don’t know if this process can work.

If you want to move a Windows installation to different hardware, it can be done using Microsoft’s Sysprep utility.

Sysprep is normally used to prepare machines for cloning. Build a machine, configure it, run Sysprep, then make an image of it using Ghost or Acronis. Then load that image onto target machines and Sysprep will run a “mini setup” to force hardware redetection and installation when the system boots.

Without Sysprep, I can almost guarantee that you will surely bluescreen.

I am not sure if I tried “Sysprep” before, but I’ll look into it, thanks. :slight_smile:

If you have never used sysprep, then honestly it is far more work to do this than to just reinstall.

It’s almost NEVER a good idea to try to move to different hardware without a reinstall. Seriously.

Just… don’t… do it.

That depends on the system.

Re-installation of XP is never a problem as it only consumes about 30 minutes of your time.
But then you can spend another hour tweaking and configuring and in my case, another 10-12 hours installing and configuring programs to get your system back to where it was before.

I’ve used Sysprep with Windows XP Home and Pro, Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 and it works well on those, too. I’ve even used it on an Exchange server just to see what happens and that even worked.

Re-running hardware detection & driver installation is a major feature of Sysprep. It can do some other things, too, like change machine name & SID during setup, prompt for re-entering product keys, etc.

This is how OEM manufacturers deploy images to thousands of different computers during the manufacturing process

Nemesys: what Sysprep’s parameters you usualy use?

Just the Windows Setup manager Wizard, the .ini is usually created in large part by this.
It’s basically an answer file very much like the Windows XP unattended setup file.

When running Sysprep itself, I just selelct, PnP, MiniSetup, Pre-Activated, & then click the Reseal button.

A typical OEM answer file will look like this…

;SetupMgrTag
[Unattended]
    OemPnPdriversPath =  <removed due to length>
    OemSkipEula=yes
[GuiUnattended]
    OEMSkipWelcome=1
    AdminPassword="8xLko%A"
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=35
    AutoLogon=yes
    AutoLogonCount=1
[UserData]
    FullName="-"
    OrgName="My Company"
    ProductKey=ABCDE-FGHIJ-KLMNO-PQRST-UVWXY
[Identification]
   MachineObjectOU="OU=Workstations
[Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
[GuiRunOnce]
    Command0=C:\...  <Antivirus agent installation & registration>
[Sysprep]
    BuildMassStorageSection=yes
[SysprepMassStorage]

Most companies have a wider range of machines than just one or two models. Companies that have standardized on Dell OptiPlex machines might have GX110’s, GX150’s, GX260’s, GX270’s, GX280’s, and new GX620’s in service. The same image isn’t going to work on all of 'em unless you use Sysprep, which is exactly what the utility was designed for.