Has anyone tried this?

Hi, another IDE setup question.

I have four IDE devices: two ATA133 HDD, a DVD+RW, and a DVD/CDRW combo.

I currently have both HDD on primary, and the two optical drives on secondary.

I have a PCI IDE 133 card and a PCI IDE 66 card, neither of which are currently installed.

I want to be able to copy between all devices: on-the-fly CD copy, backup from either hdd to CDR or DVD+R, etc.

In the past, I had both optical drives on their own channel on the PCI IDE card, and copy on the fly operations where poor. I’m wondering if it exceeds the bandwidth availble to the PCI slot?

Do you think I could put in both PCI IDE controllers, and have essentially the DVD+RW on one channel of the first PCI controller, and have the CDRW on one channell of the second PCI controller. Then I’d put the two hard drives on their own channel on the mobo ide controller. My thought is that each optical drive would have the entire bandwidth of the PCI slot to itself.

Make sense, or am I way off here?

Actually, a PCI slot gives far more bandwidth than any optical drive could need; the problem is that optical drives rarely work well with PCI IDE controllers. I’ve had the same problem myself; I had some CD-RWs on a PCI IDE controller, and they wouldn’t even work at 12x without pausing due to slow data transfer! They work fine on the motherboard’s onboard IDE controller.

Here is the optimal set up for your computer:

PCI IDE controller:
Primary Master: Boot Hard drive
Secondary Master: Other Hard drive

Motherboard built-in controller:
Primary Master: DVD+RW
Secondary Master: CD-RW

This setup will provide more than enough bandwidth for your drives.

Have 8 drives running here in the following config:

PCI card: 4 hard drives (SATA ports x4)

MB IDE: 4 opticals (see sig).

there’s very little you can’t do with this setup, even CD copying on the fly with both drives on one channel is no problem.
I generally have my main burners as master on each of the IDE ports, so I can burn to both from separate programs at the same time, OR read from one drive while burning to another.
Haven’t had the balls yet to try decoding a movie from the DVD-ROM while burning another movie to the 411S, but I will try that one day. That’ll give the HD’s and CPU a fit. :wink:

Sorry for sort of hijacking thread for own needs, but it saves me creating another new thread with same topic :slight_smile:

I currently have a set up as follows

IDE0 Master (mobo): System Drive 120gb Maxtor
IDE1 Master (mobo): CD Writer LTR48246S
IDE1 Master (mobo): DVD Reader LTR(JLMS)163D

IDE0 Master (ide card pci): 60gb Western Digital
IDE1 Master (ide card pci): 80gb Western Digital

I want/need to add a DVD Writer, model as of yet unknown. What is the best setup to for me use as and when I get the DVD Writer? I generally move all data to the system drive for as that is the only one that is ATA100, the IDE Card is only ATA66 (due to only having ATA leads). I do have an onboard Raid Controller, but it tends to screw up a bit corrupting the drives and so on, so I disabled it and bought the IDE card (CMD PCI0649 chipset).

I may possibly be re-adding a further HD when I receive it back from Western Digital after the Raid controller made it FUBAR, (it kept giving an error of 0101 via WDs lifeguard program) so that is another possibility.

Just to clarify others too, the 60gb is hardly used, and is primarily just a backup drive to lob stuff on for future use (ie programs that I may need to install after a format etc etc), the 80gb drive is in almost always in use, and the system drive is obviously also in use practically constantly. The replacement from WD wil also just be a stop gap HD, and not used an awful lot.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Probably, the best thing you could do is connect all of the HDDs to the PCI IDE card (if you don’t want to limit yourself to ATA66, buy an ATA133 one) and connect all of the optical drives to the motherboard’s onboard IDE controller. Just set up your boot hard drive as primary master on the PCI IDE card, and the rest of the settings shouldn’t matter much unless your PC is pretty old.

Hi there,
excuse me if my question is stupid ,but there is something i can’t understand.OK with the connection problem(it can be solved with a PCI card)but where do you put the drives or the HDs in the case?I s there a place for 6 or 4 of them?

of course ur case would need to have the space to put these drives.

Cheers CDRecorder, Ill try that when I get my DVDRW (y)

Originally posted by BeLGaRaTh
[B]I currently have a set up as follows

IDE0 Master (mobo): System Drive 120gb Maxtor
IDE1 Master (mobo): CD Writer LTR48246S
IDE1 Master (mobo): DVD Reader LTR(JLMS)163D

IDE0 Master (ide card pci): 60gb Western Digital
IDE1 Master (ide card pci): 80gb Western Digital
[/B]

Looks like you have 2 drives on the same channel??

I am assuming that you meant that the DVD Reader is the Slave??

This is my configuration:

IDE1 Master (mobo): WD 40GB JB (system)
IDE1 Slave (mobo): WD 60GB (downloads/programs)
IDE2 Master (mobo): 32x CD-RW
IDE2 Slave (mobo): DVD Reader SD-616

IDE1 Master (ATA 100 card): WD 40GB (DVD rips)
IDE1 Slave (ATA 100 card): WD 40GB (DVD rips)
IDE2 Master (ATA 100 card): Maxtor 40GB (Music)
IDE2 Slave (ATA 100 card): Maxtor 20GB (DVD rips)

My system works great. I read before setting up that alot of optical drives have problems on PCI controllers so I set it up this way to begin with. I think that I will eventually go with removable drive bays so that I dont have so many drives running all the time. It creates alot of heat, so I have alot of fans, so it sounds like a tornado!

My case is a Chieftec and I still have one 5 1/4 bay empty. When I get a DVD-RW I will hopefully have the removable bays installed so that I can free up some space on the channels.

Originally posted by BeLGaRaTh
Cheers CDRecorder, Ill try that when I get my DVDRW (y)

Sounds good! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
[B]Looks like you have 2 drives on the same channel??

[/B]

Indeed, only just spotted that myself :slight_smile: