Has anyone tried burning a disc with a cracked inner ring? (photo enclosed)

vbimport

Found this disc at the bottom of a 50 dvd+r spindle. Be a shame to just throw it away… I’m a bit curious to see how well it would burn. Would it be a bad idea to try?

The disc in question is probably a PRODISC-R03-003 (8x DVD+R), like the previous 49. Of course, I haven’t actually put it in a drive :slight_smile:

trash it, if it comes apart in a drive it would be a mess.

i’ve burn’t a few with a crack in the hub with out any braking up

Never, ever put a cracked disc in a high speed drive unless you are willing to say goodby to the drive.

I placed a cracked DVD in a drive one time and after replacing the drive I said I would not be that stupid again

49¢ disc or $70 drive? i guess it is your choice… then again if it makes it through that each time you put it in to play it you can think “is this your luck day punk?” *

*Dirty Harry

Only burn cracked discs in cracked drives running on crack PCs.

It probably looks really stupid to post this after a dozen warnings to the contrary, but I have put a cracked disc in the drive with no problems.

A friend’s kids got into his DVD collection with predictable results and I helped him backup the worst victims. One had a badly cracked hub where the two edges were no longer on the same, flat plane. Ripped in my Lite-On 167T (which fortunately was a relatively poor reader, so the speeds didn’t get much above 8x). Sounded a bit sketchy as the drive was spinning up, but as I said, I wasn’t too fond of the thing anyway.

Just like a recovering crack addict though, I would advise someone to do as I say and not as I do. :bigsmile:

I nearly lost my DVD-Recorder because I put a defect DVD into it!! (I didn’t see the damage before :Z )
The DVD speeded up, made horrible sounds and didn’t slow down.
Never do this to your drive!

Yo-

“This is your drive - This is your drive on crack”

For the $.30 to .40 for the disc - why take a chance-IMO??

Mike

Very Kool Bigmike7! :wink: :wink:

Best advice, don’t risk it…

If you burn it, then you’ll read it, how many times?

It’s one thing to try to recover the data from a cracked disk (using drive speed reduction if possible), but quite another to needlessly expose the drive to a potential shatter.

That looks like a full hub-width crack, not just a small craze from the centre - I’d bet on it letting go if spun up to full speed.

Since that’s a blank disk, throw it away.

If it’s a data disk and valuable to you, rip in your old dvdrom or go find a public pc :slight_smile:

I can just image the sound of a disc shattering at the library :bigsmile:

Seriously though, it is a blank disc and I had no real intention of trying it. Although, putting the disc into a brand new drive might be a bit thrilling. Similar to rock climbing, or hot swapping IDE drives.

The thought never would have crossed my mind.

Can’t vouch for burning, but running a cracked cd in a 52X drive is BAAD
my old games cost me a trip to A&E and a new drive
they explode with enough force to blow out the drive front AND the disk tray!

This is a hideously old thread. The issue is long past and gone.

However, I noticed that the instruction booklet that came with my Lite-On SHM-165P6S specifically mentioned that running a cracked disc in the drive can invalidate (“will voided your warranty” is how it put it) my warranty.

LOL !

I can see how this can be possible on a CD-R, spinning at 52x :smiley:

But it is not as risky for DVDs, however, I would not take the chance.

It would be roughly as risky for DVDs, because a DVD spinning at 16x spins at the same RPM as a CD spinning at 48x.

CDs and DVDs are constructed in different ways however, so it’s anybodys guess which one will break more easily and how disatrous the result will be for the drive.

I’m not volunteering any drives to perform this test! :disagree: