Has anyone successfully got an IDE to SATA Converter to work with their Plextor drive?

vbimport

Hi all

I recently bought two old (but new) Plextor drives for a CD ripping project. Px-716al. They are both IDE. I only have one IDE connector (Intel DP35DP mobo) and am having a bit of trouble having them both on the same IDE channel/cable.

So I’m hoping to convert one to SATA with an adapter.

There seem to be a tonne of cheap ones about on ebay. But am I better off buying a decent one and if so does anyone have any recommendations?

I’ve read a few threads here of people saying that they have had bad experiences in this scenario. SO I’m hoping someone out there has managed to connect an IDE Plextor (or other op drive) to a SATA port with an adapter…

Cheers

Max

Cheers

Max

Hi, Max,

You’ve chosen a great legacy Plextor model for discerning DAE :slight_smile:

I have walked the path you are currently on. You would be wise to abandon these adapters. Even after going so far as to track down a specific Marvell controller (chip) supporting advanced Plextor commands, I discovered none will properly interface with the motherboards, older & newer, I’ve tried.

You are that close to achieving your goal, by using both drives on one ribbon cable. I’m assuming that’s what you’re trying to do? It’s your best, “purest” option. You must observe your IDE jumper pins are properly set on each drive for either “Master” or “Slave” according to their placement on your ribbon cable. I believe you can also set both to “Cable Select” instead. Observe if your cable is 40 or 80 conductor.

Lastly, your BIOS may require a setting adjustment for the IDE port.

Though you should eventually be able to properly connect & setup both drives, if all else fails, internal IDE add-on PCI cards interface at a deeper level & are reported to just do the job correctly. I later found out my modern motherboard, the last (or one of the last) to feature stock IDE, is simply powering the port with an integrated VIA controller, the same one found on some add-on cards.

Hi Loogs

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement!

I don’t suppose you remember which controller and which motherboards you tried by any chance?

I did also consider the “internal IDE add-on PCI card” but thought that the converter would be a neater and easier path to take (one less ribbon cable in the case for starters). A few people also suggested it was the better option.

As for my reasons to change… Yes, I do currently have both on one cable. They are set up as Master/Slave and I am using an 80 conductor cable. All seems well in BIOS from what I can tell. Both drives function. But… I’ve been doing some test rips on one of the drives, whilst at the same time listening to a CD on the other using Foobar. What I’ve noticed is that the CD stops playing for a second or so when the rip starts, and stops playing again for at least 2 seconds when the disc is ejected (I have it set to auto eject). I’m worried that the rip is interrupting the playback of the CD in the other drive. It’s not a problem with regard playback (soon I won’t be listening to CDs at all!). But if both drives were ripping and this interruption happened, I’m worried it might cause problems with the rip(s)? For peace of mind, I would much rather have a set up whereby the two drives operate separately and totally independently. I read in quite a few places that having two devices on one IDE cable/channel is never a good idea and best avoided whenever possible.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers

Max

Sounds like a allocation of power. Try a more GOOD Quality power supply.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2717616]Sounds like a allocation of power. Try a more GOOD Quality power supply.[/QUOTE]

Hi G_Ivan Awfulitch

My OSU is a Seasonic S-12 430 which I think is pretty well regarded. It is a few years old now mind you. But I’m reasonably sure it is not at fault… What make you think it is related to the PSu and not to the IDE Channel not being able to allow two devices to run concurrently?

Thanks for your help,

Max

AFAIK, power draw from optical drives is not exactly substantial. In my personal tests, CD/DVD drives were only asking between 10-15 watts, and the labeled amperage reflects this.

Data transfer must be shared between any piggybacked IDE drives. This is further limited by the DMA mode, which you would want to make sure is optimized in your OS, as it might not do it for you automatically. Some IDE controllers are also restricted in the sense they can only support “up to” a specific DMA mode. An older controller could very well be natively limited in that sense.

I currently have 2x 708A units on one port, as well as 2x PREMIUM units on another build, but I have never tried to use drives simultaneously. As you mention, the “pause” you are experiencing during spin-up & eject sounds like there is a data and/or power burst, and the request is not enough to share equally, so one drive must briefly recede. It could also be an ATAPI command interference, though I’d assume it could be a DMA bottleneck.

I don’t have experience with the auto-loading “AL” units you are using, though. I can’t imagine they operate much differently, even on the power draw. I would suggest to investigate the DMA, see what you find & can possibly optimize. If you want to rip simultaneously, I would suggest using an alternate pattern e.g. when A is immediately done ripping, begin ripping B. As B is ripping, A enters “cooldown”, perhaps extending the life of your drives in the process (versus non-cooldown ripping).

Thanks for your time and thoughts. Both drives are Ultra DMA Mode 4… Yep, I’ll either do staggered ripping, or else try a converter and/or PCI card.

Cheers

Right on, sounds like you have the “write” idea :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck! May those legacy Plextor units serve you well :slight_smile:

Also, Mode 4 sounds adequate for transfer, but perhaps there is just not enough flow for the high-demand situations between the 2.