Has anyone ordered JVC / TY 8x DVD-Rs from Rima.com? Does Rima ever have free shipping?

vbimport

Greetings. Just wondering if anyone has purchased these from Rima.com: http://www.rima.com/prod/1736-100.html (Taiyo Yuden JVC DVD-R 4.7GB 8X Silver Lacquer, 100-Pack) If so, were they TYG02 and packed well? I held off on ordering the 16x Value Line TYs from supermediastore.com after hearing about inconsistency with them. $24.50 w/ free shipping for a 100 pack was tempting though…

Does Rima.com ever do free shipping in the U.S.? $23.99’s not too bad, but I hate to tack on $9-$10 to ship a spindle of discs. Would be great if someone had a free shipping / coupon code.

I’ve really been out of the burning game for a while now. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed some Made in Taiwan Verbatim DVD-Rs a few days ago (they even had a Mitsubishi logo on the package) only to find out they were CMCs! I thought for sure being Made in Taiwan with a Mitsubishi logo that they’d be MCCs… (turned out to be CMC MAG AM3, which is supposedly decent) My PS2 Slim hiccuped on a few of these, so back to the store they went.

This Verbatim thing pissed me off just a bit, so here I am asking about the above TYs from Rima.com haha. I remember when Fuji randomly switched their Made in Japan TY CD-Rs years ago too. grumble

So yeah, any info about the above discs from Rima.com (and any coupons or cheaper shipping options) would be great. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Yes, stay far away from the value line… I am disappointed with them… max burn on 16x is 8x with fair PIFs (-R).
Unfortunately RIma almost never has a sale… but I doubt they will pass up the holiday bandwagon for Black Friday/Cyber monday and do nothing… no etailer should be that arrogant and be able to keep market share.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2548016]Yes, stay far away from the value line… I am disappointed with them… max burn on 16x is 8x with fair PIFs (-R).
Unfortunately RIma almost never has a sale… but I doubt they will pass up the holiday bandwagon for Black Friday/Cyber monday and do nothing… no etailer should be that arrogant and be able to keep market share.[/QUOTE] Agreed. That really is pretty arrogant on Rima’s part. Oh well. In any case, I’m glad I skipped the Value Lines. :slight_smile:

Are any of the “in store” brand DVD-Rs Taiyo Yuden these days? I never see Made in Japan discs anymore, but I’m not looking all the time either. Haven’t checked Sonys lately, but I think some of their stuff used to be MIJ Taiyo Yuden. Hate waiting for things in the mail, and not being able to return a bad batch etc.

Have you ever given Supermediastore a thought when buying blank media? Yeah they may be
a little higher on price but that always includes free shipping so it still comes out to be around
the same price or in most cases it comes out to be a dollar or two less or even more in the long
run. :iagree:

If you are planing on buying 2 or more packs then you really start to save money on the price plus
you still get the free shipping even saving more in the long run. They always have some kind of a
sale going on and some kind of specials to save you some money. :clap:

I buy from them all the time and I’ve never have had a complaint about the product or the way it
was shipped it has always been packed good and arrived in excellent shape. :wink:

Okay just priced a 100 pack of TY’s at both places and here is what it comes out to be for me on
the total price from both.

Rima
1 100 pack Total= [B]$34.08[/B]

Supermediastore
1 100 pack total=[B] $29.99[/B]

JVC Taiyo Yuden Silver Thermal Lacquer 8X DVD-R Media (Premium Line)

Difference of [B]$4.09 [/B]savings for me from Supermediastore of coarse you saving might differ
with your zip-code. :confused:

Actually yes, I was considering supermediastore.com until I read about a couple people receiving poorly packed / damaged media. From what you and many others have said though, I’m thinking these were rare circumstances. I’ll have to consider giving them a shot.

Thanks for sharing your supermediastore experiences, getit29. :slight_smile:

The 16x Verbatim media has lines to write on… so does the 16x JVC Premium Gold TY (made-in-japan). The plain 8x TY bulk media hasn’t any lines and has various top-side finishes (know what you are getting before placing an order). A well-researched purchase of the TY bulk media can provide extremely good burns. Burns that are similiar to the older 8x Verbatim MCC 003 media (but still, no lines to write on). FYI, the TY disks seem to flex a little easier.

My 16x Verbatim DVD+R media (made-in-india) came with a blue & purple wrapper. I bought several cases because of the low price. But for a lot more $$$'s, I could have had perfect burns with the 8x TY bulk premium.

The 16x JVC Premium Gold DVD-R TY media for consumers doesn’t burn as well as the 16x Verbatim DVD+R. If you are going to give up on Verbatim, try a 50 pack of the 16x JVC DVD+R and set your burner to DVD-ROM. This may work quite well… I couldn’t find any DVD+R, and had to test the DVD-R instead. As expected, I wasn’t happy.

Only 4 months ago, I saw the 16x Verbatim media (blue & gold wrapper, made-in-taiwan) at Best Buy… but they were not offering a discount, $$$ :a

Should you buy on-line at a great discount, often 1/3 of the reviews posted receive a bad cake of disks. Beware, you could be one of the unlucky recepients.

[QUOTE=Robo_Disco;2548158]Actually yes, I was considering supermediastore.com until I read about a couple people receiving poorly packed / damaged media. From what you and many others have said though, I’m thinking these were rare circumstances. I’ll have to consider giving them a shot.

Thanks for sharing your supermediastore experiences, getit29. :)[/QUOTE]

I think it all comes down to who the handlers are with UPS on how the package
looks when it arrives at your house. If you get unlucky enough to have a bunch
of yahooos handling the package and playing frisbee with it then yeah you might
get some damaged discs.

I have received some bad looking packages from the UPS gorillas before but the
discs have always been packed good enough from supermediastore to withstand
the torture at least so far they have been. :clap:

I’ve bought from both and never had a problem with either. Having said that Rima has an impeccable reputation, worth a couple of extra bucks IMHO. Pretty much a wash when you compare Rima w/shipping and SuperM without. I highly recommend paying a couple of bucks extra for the TY (jvc) [B]8x +R[/B] media. Generally accepted as the best SL media made. You can burn them at 16x on most newer burners, however, I burn at 12x for best quality. I never get coasters and have burned thousands.

Thanks for the information, everyone. :slight_smile:

I’ll have to try the +Rs sometime because I’ve been hearing great things about them. Unfortunately most of my devices seem to prefer -Rs. Many of these discs will be played on a PS2 (Slim model, so HDD isn’t an easy option) which likes -R.