Has anyone noticed

vbimport

that the WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION installation disc has no copy protection whatsoever, even though it costs around £90…

Whats the point in not protecting the software which you need to run your computer and protecting games, audio cd’s?

Just thought i’d bring this up…

None of the operating systems have copy protection .
Which is a good thing because if you scratch your copy it going to be expencive to replace…
XP still has to be activated though (which i would say is maybe a copy protection in its own right)

Yes, it still has to be activated, and within 30 days, or the O/S becomes unusable.

But can’t you just fone the number up and give them the code you have…

Yes but that code can only be used by one person, if another person registers the code it will get rejected… a form of copy protection.

I have heard that there’s a fix out there, but if you try to update Windows on that crack, it will stuff up the O/S. Another form of copy protection.

Yeah, but say your a guy who builds computers for people…
You will own your own Windows XP disk. When you build a computer for someone you install the operating system for them, so isn’t that the same as copying it and giving it to a friend who installs it?

Originally posted by kaybing27
You will own your own Windows XP disk. When you build a computer for someone you install the operating system for them, so isn’t that the same as copying it and giving it to a friend who installs it?

Sort of. But after the 30 days are up the XP just won’t work anymore. Different for 9x I suppose.

No no no, the copy protection is not the disk. Microsoft doesn’t really care if people copy the disk. They’ve shown that by adding no copy protection to a major operating system. They get you when it comes for activation time. If you have 1 CD and want to use it for 2 computers, one will use the original registation information on the disc and the other will have to buy the activation.

The operating system is useless unless you activate it.

that the WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION installation disc has no copy protection whatsoever, even though it costs around £90…
In my opinon, MS doesn’t bother copy protecting is OSes to ensure that even more people would use them than if they were copy protected so they can get plenty of feedback, or of course because they have realised that every copyprotection will be eventually overcome (especially when the copy protection is on software with such wide spread use.)

Anyway, MS knows that probably 50% of wndows users use pirated versions of windows because the price is too high to buy the licences (£90 can be more than a month’s wages in many countries) so piracy prevention is alomst a lost cause for MS.

The corporate version of Windows XP Professional, doesn’t require activation, nor is the cd copy protected. And its the most expensive :slight_smile: So m$ really dont care that much :slight_smile:

MS doesn’t use copy protection because almost all site admins make their own customized version (with fixes/settings/sp’s integrated).

like you no doubt

The statements that you can only activate your original of windows xp on one of your computers, has proven to be false. I know for a fact, that when you call up Microsoft to activate, they just make sure that you have the CD code from the original, and they give you the activation code. Even if the CD code was already used for another PC. They have to do this, otherwise when someone swaps components enough on his PC and has to reactivate it, he wouldnt be able to. A Friend of mine has his Windows XP running on three pc’s…all with the same CD code.

Just wanted to clear this up.

Windows XP isnt copy protected if you own the original. Its just a hassle. And you have that hassle when you build your own pcs, and trade parts regularly. After two years, I dont have any of the same components that were in the PC as I initially activated Windows XP. And I still get an activation code from microsoft everytime I have to re activate.