Has anyone actually purchased any ritek G05 on purpose lately?

I’m just wondering. I am going to possibly purchase some, my plan is to pay about 50 bucks and get 400 of them.

For everyday throwaways, burns for friends, and just for the sake of having crap to use I think that’s a good price. I worked it out to $6.25 per 50 spindle. That’s if I can nail it at that price. I probably won’t thought. What’s funny is how the ebay seller states it’s Archival Grade, lasts up to 100 years lol. I half feel like emailing and telling him to take the two zeros off the end.

Am I the only one thinking to/buying G05 on purpose after knowing full well how it behaves after time? :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank god im not your friend!!! LOL.
That’s horse than burning on a Princo dvd. (at least a princo lasts over 1 year even if with bad results).
I’m using some Mitsai for giving away (MCC003 code) but they’re like the defective, or the Grade B verbatim, that they sell to other oem brands.
They’re not bad, PIF 1400 total, pie, 20000 total, jitter 8.5% avr.

[quote=cd pirate;1924161]What’s funny is how the ebay seller states it’s Archival Grade, lasts up to 100 years lol. I half feel like emailing and telling him to take the two zeros off the end.[/QUOTE] I suggest taking the one and the zero off the start instead. :smiley:

Am I the only one thinking to/buying G05 on purpose after knowing full well how it behaves after time? :stuck_out_tongue:
I bought a 5-pack of RiData branded RITEK G05 earlier this year, just to experience this media first-hand (I hadn’t tried it myself before).

I wouldn’t consider buying it on purpose to get cheap throwaway media - I get that automatically by accident when buying other media that turns out worse than I’d hoped for. :doh:

I would NEVER toutch any media that starts with [B]RI[/B] :bigsmile:

Even if given to me free :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1924167]I suggest taking the one and the zero off the start instead. :smiley:

I bought a 5-pack of RiData branded RITEK G05 earlier this year, just to experience this media first-hand (I hadn’t tried it myself before).

I wouldn’t consider buying it on purpose to get cheap throwaway media - I get that automatically by accident when buying other media that turns out worse than I’d hoped for. :doh:[/QUOTE]

“RITEKG05 archival grade” = Dead archive :bigsmile:

It’s what i call MI (Mission Impossible) media :bigsmile: it self destructs.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1924461]I would NEVER toutch any media that starts with [B]RI[/B] :bigsmile:

Even if given to me free ;)[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I really like RICOHJPN R03 (Maxell branded of course) :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1924491]I dunno, I really like RICOHJPN R03 (Maxell branded of course) ;)[/QUOTE]

[B]RI[/B]COHGPN R03 was crap for me under [B]RI[/B]DATA brand (horrible rise in PIF/PIE after 4GB mark) hence my previous statement .
@cd pirate , you are free with your money , but you should NEVER harm the environment with RITEK G05 media that is rumored to have a deadly virus that starts by distructing its own “host” and spread to the whole planet :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1924601][B]RI[/B]COHGPN R03 was crap for me under [B]RI[/B]DATA brand (horrible rise in PIF/PIE after 4GB mark) hence my previous statement .[/QUOTE]

Good point. I’m not brave enough to try it under that brand.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1924601][B]RI[/B]COHGPN R03 was crap for me under [B]RI[/B]DATA brand (horrible rise in PIF/PIE after 4GB mark) hence my previous statement .
@cd pirate , you are free with your money , but you should NEVER harm the environment with RITEK G05 media that is rumored to have a deadly virus that starts by distructing its own “host” and spread to the whole planet :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Lol, sounds like resident evil or something, but with blank media. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not buying the discs as idiots on ebay have already bumped the price to way over 50 bucks, add in postage and you wonder what the hell some people are thinking.

I can’t believe G05 is still sold and still hyped up to be so good after all that’s happened :eek:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1924606]Good point. I’m not brave enough to try it under that brand.[/QUOTE]

Dunno why i have a weakness for Ridisc. I get 25-50 or so pr year and they are always working whether it’s TDK or RICOH code. They scan very bad so i never save them. For JPNR03 i like Maxell’s too and they are pretty cheap.

However i don’t have the guts to buy Ritek and i never had. They scare me… :eek:

It’s what i call MI (Mission Impossible) media it self destructs.

I’ve never had a problem with Ritek-made Ricoh single-layer media.

I have RICOHJPNR00, RICOHJPNR01, RICOHJPNR02, and RICOHJPNR03. All work well (RICOHJPNR03 not as well as earlier incarnations) and seem to last forever. Ricoh makes an excellent dye.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

[quote=terminalvelocd;1924823]I’ve never had a problem with Ritek-made Ricoh single-layer media.

I have RICOHJPNR00, RICOHJPNR01, RICOHJPNR02, and RICOHJPNR03. All work well (RICOHJPNR03 not as well as earlier incarnations) and seem to last forever. Ricoh makes an excellent dye.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD[/quote]Here here on that one. But whether or not Ritek manufactures all the discs right [like in the case of those that get used under the Ridisc or other non-Ricoh RI-brands] is kind of suspect. :doh:

Amazingly, Memorex-branded Ricoh R03 and 16x Ritek seem to be good. But that just may be my luck with getting good batches + the off-chance that I have resilient drives.

Still, I don’t think I will be touching Taiwanese Maxell 8x DVD-R anytime soon if I can’t be sure it’s not RITEKG05.

Why bother with RITEKG05 anymore when RITEKF1 has replaced it at 16x, and has none of the old stability issues?

[QUOTE=negritude;1924906]Why bother with RITEKG05 anymore when RITEKF1 has replaced it at 16x, and has none of the old stability issues?[/QUOTE]

Only because of the cheapness, unfortunately the discs didn’t go for cheap so I didn’t bother.

I never tried F1 - what’s your opinion on it?

RITEKF1 is really difficult to burn properly, but if burnt properly will last a fair while, but YMMV.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

I have actually bought A LOT of RitekG05 lately … Unfortunately this may have been a mistake as I had no idea of the longevity issues!!

I initially did a test batch of 25 discs and checked for compatability, burn rate etc etc and had no problems so bought in bulk.

Wish I’d have looked here 1st now!! lol

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1924789]I can’t believe G05 is still sold and still hyped up to be so good after all that’s happened :eek:[/QUOTE]If Ritek is still worried about its reputation, it should’ve gotten rid of all the G05 media as soon as they started producing the 16x media.

[QUOTE=CJ2;1924813]
However i don’t have the guts to buy Ritek and i never had. They scare me… :eek:[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha :bigsmile:

I’m not doubting you guys about these, but it just doesn’t happen to me. Why would these fail over time for some people and not others? Environment? Pollution? Humidity (doubtful-it’s fairly damp here)? Bad batches? Radon? :slight_smile:

One example: RiData branded 8X, burned at 12X ZCLV on 11 March 2006. Still plays fine.