Hardware

vbimport

Sorry if this question was already posted, but I searched and did not find the questions asked before.

1. Is DvDFab able to take advantage of dual cores like an Intel Core 2 Duo?
  2. Is XP32 bit better than XP64 bit? What about Vista?
  3. What is a good DvD burner?
  4. Does DvDFab work well with a virtual OS?

The reasons for all these questions are I’m trying to improve the mobile option of making an AVI file to reduce the amount of time it takes to complete this task.

I can offer at least a partial answer to your multi-part question…

1. I have never seen it mentioned in all the stable and beta releases of DVDFab by Fengtao, either an oversight (done, but not mentioned), or a yet-to-be-addressed aspect of DVDFab… I run a Duo Core 2 CPU in XP 32 bit, and have experienced no problems.

2. 64 Bit is probably better than 32 Bit, and once you’re past the idiosyncrasies of Vista, it’s probably OK, too. I’m comfortable with 32 Bit, even though the CPU is capable of more. (I don’t own have never worked with Vista - take my comments with a grain of salt re that OS)

3. Any brand name DVD writer should fill the bill - just try to be sure you select one with D/L capabilities - some people here, I see, own Ben-Q drives - I stay away from that brand as someone I know also owns one, and it’s a continual headache to him…

4. Can’t comment on this one at all, as I’m not set up for that.

Re your reasons for these questions, the speed of the program on your system is far more dependant on your CPU speed, rather than the very minor improvements you’d see (or might not see) with any OS or other hardware changes. Until Intel or AMD comes out with a 10 Gig CPU, the current speed you’re experiencing will be about as fast as it’s going to get…:smiley:

Thanks for the response. So if I have a 2.4GHz socket 478 cpu with a single core, a duo would not really benefit in increasing the speed of the copy? On your duo, are both cores working or are they at 50% each?

That’s a tricky question.

Nothing I have on the system provides constant on-screen monitoring of both CPUs - I have a temp. indicator, which usually tells me that CPU 0 runs hotter than CPU 1, indicating heavier usage, and Windows Task Manager provides a graph-type display of both CPUs, but neither tell me whether its software or O/S overhead usage on the second core, and neither provides a work-load percentage difference between the cores.

As I said, it’s never been mentioned in any of the releases, so I’m not sure if DVDFab has been optimised for multi-core systems, and with limited monitoring capabilities, I can’t give you a definitive answer - maybe one of the more tech-oriented members will read this and offer a better answer than I can give you.

There should be a speed increase, but of unknown magnitude by me at this point.

:confused:

Hi CamelToe999,

DVDFab is fully optimized for multi-core system, which means more core, more speed.

DVDFab uses multi-thread technology heavily, and can use all your CPU power by design.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=fengtao;2173613]Hi CamelToe999,

DVDFab is fully optimized for multi-core system, which means more core, more speed.

DVDFab uses multi-thread technology heavily, and can use all your CPU power by design.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/QUOTE] Thanks for taking the time to answer my hardware question on multiple cores.