Hardware Error Correction

vbimport

What kind of error correction does the computer hardwares use?

For example, when I extract files from zip folders, move data files from CD or flash drive or floppy to the hard drive, move files from one hard drive to another, or defragging the hard drive, what kind of error correction is used?

Because programs like Exact audio copy seems to do error correction, and many times the CRCs don’t match so you have to rip in secure mode. But when I move other files, what types of error correction is in place?

EAC is for Audio on [B]CDDA[/B], which themselves have no extra error correction like it is on ANY other data cd/DVD.

[QUOTE=chef;2001794]EAC is for Audio on [B]CDDA[/B], which themselves have no extra error correction like it is on ANY other data cd/DVD.[/QUOTE]

So why is there a program (EAC) for secure rips, where as there is no program for secure transfer of files through other methods (non audio cd)?

What program is there to guarantee secure transfers from USB keys, floppy, HDD to HDD etc…?

For data iit is done by the drive (hardware), media layer (media) and OS itself without uiser notification.

[QUOTE=chef;2002530]For data iit is done by the drive (hardware), media layer (media) and OS itself without uiser notification.[/QUOTE]

So why is it missing for Cd audio? Like I need a special program to do it for me? Is CD audio special?

Thanks.

Yes, CDDA is different and therfore special.

Important is that:

On the disc, [B]the data is stored in sectors of 2352 bytes each[/B], read at 75 sectors per second. Onto this the overhead of EFM, CIRC, L2 ECC, and so on, is added, but these are not typically exposed to the application reading the disc.

[B]By comparison, the bit rate of a “1x” data CD is defined as 2048 bytes per sector[/B] × 75 sectors per second = 150 KiB/s, or approximately 9.2 million bytes per minute.

[QUOTE=chef;2003255]Yes, CDDA is different and therfore special.

Important is that:[/QUOTE]

I see, what about downloads? Is there error correction to ensure that downloaded files are good?

[QUOTE=Goit;2003832]I see, what about downloads? Is there error correction to ensure that downloaded files are good?[/QUOTE]

no there isn’t. A lot of good vendors include the MD5 checksum, you compare the value they give you with the value a little checksum utility calculates from the file. Nero uses it. A while back I downloaded a version of linux called Knoppix, I had to download it like 3 times because the checksums didn’t match. Also with something important like a linux operating system its good to verify it to also make sure that it wasn’t modified.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2003885]no there isn’t. A lot of good vendors include the MD5 checksum, you compare the value they give you with the value a little checksum utility calculates from the file. Nero uses it. A while back I downloaded a version of linux called Knoppix, I had to download it like 3 times because the checksums didn’t match. Also with something important like a linux operating system its good to verify it to also make sure that it wasn’t modified.[/QUOTE]

So those amazon downloads aren’t reliable at all?

Well, eric93se is a bit off…
TCP itself has checksumming, your NIC may have hardware checksumming.
The only way to get a bad download would be if your computer compute the checksums incorrectly (you have a cpu/memory fault) or if you NICs hardware checksumming is activated and is broken (seems to happen quite often).
//Danne

Here is a short article that goes over various devices and data integrity.
Link

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2004142]Well, eric93se is a bit off…
TCP itself has checksumming, your NIC may have hardware checksumming.
The only way to get a bad download would be if your computer compute the checksums incorrectly (you have a cpu/memory fault) or if you NICs hardware checksumming is activated and is broken (seems to happen quite often).
//Danne[/QUOTE]

I use the D-Link DFE-530TX, does it have checksumming?

Thanks.

No, it does not have hardware checksumming
//Danne