Harddrive in external enclosure

vbimport

#1

I am out of room in my case so, rather than buying a external drive, with the prices of internal drives are getting so cheap I was considering getting a external enclosure and putting a 80gb + internal harddrive in it. Also I am not sure if this will work as I haven't used it for anything yet but my soundblaster audigy platinum has the firewire port and I was wondering if I could connect the drive through there? Or should I just use a usb port. one other thing, I don't know if the external enclosures are all comparable or is one brand better. I'm not concerned with asthetics.
Thanks


#2

I think most of these external cases work off USB. I had an exdrive case with was an enclosure for laptop hdd. It worked off a converter and I used it via USB1.1

I think its a good idea for extra space but you limit yourself to speed. In other words, don’t install a game you wish to play on one of these. I used mine as an MP3 & movie database. I bought a used 20gig with no warranty and after a year it crapped out, now my enclosure is in the closet.


#3

I am going to use it for storage also, software etc… and to get my music video collection off my internal drives. I was just looking on Newegg and they had a firewire/usb enclosure for $ 39.00 and I just saw a 80 gb drive for $19.00 after rebate @ Office Max. I imagine I can use the firewire port on my Audigy to connect.


#4

The generic dual-link case at NewEgg uses the Oxford firewire chip, which is supposed to be the one to get. I have one running here. The only thing I did to it was replace the fan with a quieter one. The firewire port will give you better HD performance than USB2 will. CompUSA sells the same case for 2x the price.


#5

@nmpaulcp & @rdgrimes

You guys are tempting me to buy one :wink:


#6

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The generic dual-link case at NewEgg uses the Oxford firewire chip, which is supposed to be the one to get. I have one running here. The only thing I did to it was replace the fan with a quieter one. The firewire port will give you better HD performance than USB2 will. CompUSA sells the same case for 2x the price.

Thanks for the tip on the chip. Are the fans readily available and do you think the firewire port on the AudigyI will suffice?


#7

I have no idea about the Audiology port, but Firewire cards are cheap enough.
I use a fan that comes in the CompUSA chipset cooler kit. It’s 40mm and much quieter than most. Any 40mm fan will do, you could even put a speed conntrol on it if you want.


#8

Thanks for the help, I just checked the creative web site and the firewire port on the soundcard driver is a full function port. I thought that it might be just for audio since it is routed through the soundcard. I guess I’ll be ordering an enclosure and start looking for a drive! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:


#9

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
Thanks for the help, I just checked the creative web site and the firewire port on the soundcard driver is a full function port. I thought that it might be just for audio since it is routed through the soundcard. I guess I’ll be ordering an enclosure and start looking for a drive! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I got one, its a full functioning port. Its not specific to any sound related firewire devices.


#10

I regularly use external firewire / USB 2.0 combo cases for hard drives as large as 160GB and DVD and CD writers. Just be sure to get one with the Oxford 911 firewire chipset. Firewire performs better than USB 2.0, but with a combo case, (more expensive), you can use either. I’ll have to try the audigy port. Seems like it should work, but I haven’t tried it.


#11

Originally posted by BlackWolf
Seems like it should work, but I haven’t tried it.

Yes it does… I used it on my Audigy (sold the card btw) with an eternal HDD and DVDRW without a single problem…


#12

You guys need to remember one thing. The external drive works better as a backup . Almost all of them have problem with ventilation and temporature of drive inside. Some have no fan, plastic shell, loud fan and so on. That may shorten the life of drive, in my opinion.

I only use it for my DVD burner (to have the drive away from the PC.) And always turn it off after burn.


#13

Just ordered a case with the oxford911 chipset (thanks blackwolf)and fan(thanks rdgrimes). I also picked up a 120gb drive over the weekend. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:


#14

#15

Originally posted by arun_34
http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20040113/index.html

Those are all very nice but i’m just looking for something to hook to my fire wire port, not hot swapping, rack mounted stuff( I have no rack):slight_smile: