Harddrive fails! can you know what was on there you can get the files again?

[qanda]This thread is about the Western Digital WD RE2 500GB SATA. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]my sata drive stoped working i can hear it runing it gets warm as well but if i do get to windows desktop it takes ages after hanging on the xp logo but then there is no sata drive in my computer or disk management, i sometimes see it in the bios but sometimes i dont :frowning:

i made back ups of every movie i owned on dvd and turned em into divx cos i needed the money and had to sell em all and now mine and near a 100 of the kids movies are gone :frowning: the hd was in sections of folders ie comedy,kids,action and so on, is there any way i can see history or something of what movies were in there so i can try start collecting them again?

Really really hope someone can help me cos my kids are very upset and im clueless :frowning:

ps, so of any bad spelling

Simon

Go to WD site and download their software utility for your WD500 and see what it tells you is going on with your drive first? Then you might have to get a freeware or paid recovery program to recover those files if possible from those sectors if they aren’t bad or the WD utility was able to fix them. But first go with the WD utility and see what it can do or tell you what is going on with your drive.

Is this your only hard drive, or your boot drive? If what coolcolors suggests doesn’t help your can try this program, http://findandmount.com/, to see if you can recover your files, but if it’s your boot drive that’s failing it probably won’t help. If it’s not your boot drive and you have some space on another drive you might be able to save some data with this program.

ok thank you i will go try that for now:)

cheers

its my slave drive also many thanks i will try both things inc program :slight_smile:

thank u

I have had trouble with the sata data lead on a number of machine’s, it’s worth trying a new one!

:frowning: tried lead,and wd utility which found all my drives except my 500gig sata,

and not sure how to use find and mount app as it cant find the drive :frowning:

is there anyway i can see a history of the hard drive so i can right down what movies i had etc, maybe something stored on c: i dont anything pls ?

sorry if i got u guys stumped thought you would of known, nvm thanks anyway…

The only way a history would be stored on your C: drive is if the program you used to rip/copy the movies keeps a log file somewhere. You don’t mention what programs you used.

[QUOTE=nemz21;2209159]:frowning: tried lead,and wd utility which found all my drives except my 500gig sata,

and not sure how to use find and mount app as it cant find the drive :([/QUOTE]

Put that drive into another Sata computer and see if sees the drive otherwise if neither computer can power up or see the drive it most likely is unrecoverable files or dead HDD at this point in time.

Burn Ubuntu .iso to CD. Run it from CD. Try to lookup your HDD from there.