Harddisk shipments down in Q1 of 2013 - Toshiba up, rest down

vbimport

I just posted the article Harddisk shipments down in Q1 of 2013 - Toshiba up, rest down.

Shipments of hard disk drives (HDDs) went down in the first quarter of 2013

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/harddisk-shipments-down-in-first-quarter-of-2013-toshiba-up-rest-down-66713/](http://www.myce.com/news/harddisk-shipments-down-in-first-quarter-of-2013-toshiba-up-rest-down-66713/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It seems to me that Toshiba has the least expensive drives, so I’d imagine they would sell the most. That’s why I bought one, was because of the low price, which Western Digital and Seagate couldn’t quite beat.

It’s funny how that works … lower prices, sell more than your competitors.

I’ve been in the market for a few 4TB hdds for about 2 months now, but still waiting for the price drops to come through … especially after reduction in materials due to Seagates new 1TB platters …

I might be waiting for awhile …

I saw a Seagate 4TB external on Amazon recently for around $160.00 including shipping to Australia. If you want to buy from a local store, Officeworks has WD 4TB externals for around $195.00.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2683733]It seems to me that Toshiba has the least expensive drives, so I’d imagine they would sell the most. That’s why I bought one, was because of the low price, which Western Digital and Seagate couldn’t quite beat.[/QUOTE]

For someone worried about losing his data on an SSD, I’m surprised you look for the cheapest option when purchasing a mechanical HDD. I’d invest a bit more and go for the WD Enterprise or the Seagate Constellations if you want greater reliability.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2683755]I saw a Seagate 4TB external on Amazon recently for around $160.00 including shipping to Australia. If you want to buy from a local store, Officeworks has WD 4TB externals for around $195.00.[/QUOTE]
Officeworks had the WD external 4TB’s for about $160 recently also.

Definitely prefer internal drives though, for my NAS. Unfortunately, externally powered USB drives often don’t spin-down when the connected PC powers off, and often don’t spin-down at all when idle.

Thats a big concern with 1) operational life and 2) power … considering it’ll be connected to my AMD-E350 NAS :wink:

HDD’s chew up between 5-8W when spinning, and the entire NAS chews up about 15W at idle and only upto 35W at full tilt.

This is likely due to the lack of innovation on the capacity & speed fronts. How many YEARS has it been since a NEW capacity increase or speed increase?!?
Prices also didn’t help much since they never really returned to pre flood levels for the consumer (more so on the high end than the low).

We keep hearing about drives that will have more than 4 TB but it still keeps showing up as an unfinished product. Well? WTH are they waiting for? Soon this kind of innovation will be as slow & price/value trend lines similar to flash memory.