Hard drives?

hdd drives.
can you run a xp home system, and use a second hard drive as slave,if it has xp pro on it…?if not why not…

Sure, but I’m a bit confused.
You say you want to use the XP Pro hdd as a slave and not create a dual boot system right?

Whatever hdd you have chosen as your boot hdd (in the bios) will be the “system” hdd. As long as both OS are intact, you can choose to boot from either hdd and the other becomes a slave. You run the risk of inadvertantly damaging the OS in the slave drive since XP will only protect the OS on the system hdd, ie., you could format the slave hdd while in windows and lose the OS.

Hope this answers your question.

Are you adding a drive that already has the XP Pro operating system on it? If so, you won’t get the option to boot into that operating system. And if it came from a different computer, you wouldn’t have the correct setup for the hardware in this computer.

You can set up a dual boot system, where you do a fresh installation of XP Pro on the second hard drive, but I don’t really see the point.

If you decide to dual boot, you have to target the slave drive when you install XP Pro, and it will wipe out any data you have on the drive. Once it is done, you should get the option to choose which operating system to use whenever you boot up the computer.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1947290]Are you adding a drive that already has the XP Pro operating system on it? If so, you won’t get the option to boot into that operating system. And if it came from a different computer, you wouldn’t have the correct setup for the hardware in this computer.

You can set up a dual boot system, where you do a fresh installation of XP Pro on the second hard drive, but I don’t really see the point.

If you decide to dual boot, you have to target the slave drive when you install XP Pro, and it will wipe out any data you have on the drive. Once it is done, you should get the option to choose which operating system to use whenever you boot up the computer.[/QUOTE]

I agree. What will you need dual OS’s for? Just curious… :smiley:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;1947290] And if it came from a different computer, you wouldn’t have the correct setup for the hardware in this computer.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Kerry…I was thinking that that both hdds came from the same pc, but why would that be the case…:doh:
This remains confusing.

So yes, you can use it as a slave, but with the relatively cheap price of hdds today and assuming that you want to keep both OS intact, why would you do this?

Do you, in fact, want to keep both OS intact?

[QUOTE=duncan30c;1947223]hdd drives.
can you run a xp home system, and use a second hard drive as slave,if it has xp pro on it…?if not why not…[/QUOTE]

Because “home” is limited in many ways, pro is not.