Hard Drive Will Not Boot

vbimport

I have a Dell Inspiron 560 computer running Windows 7, Professional Version. My Hard Drive is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EALX)

The computer was working fine and then suddenly blacked out and would not go past the “Starting Windows” screen.

I ran the diagnostic and determined that the problem is with the hard drive. I get the following Error Code: 0F00: 1332. Does this mean that I should replace the hard drive? If that is the case, after I install the new hard drive, how can I get the data that is on my defective hard drive transferred to the new hard drive?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Can you boot into Safe mode ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2662345]Can you boot into Safe mode ?[/QUOTE]
No. It will not respond to anything. Not to Safe Mode. Not to System Restore. Not to anything.

Then grab your OS restore media which you have created after starting the computer for THE FIRST TIME.

I think HDD has bad sectors.
Install a new HDD and OS with restore DVD and connect your badly HDD in second HDD to retrieve data.

[QUOTE=ChrisMohrSr;2662369]No. It will not respond to anything. Not to Safe Mode. Not to System Restore. Not to anything.[/QUOTE]

It does sound like your HDD is gone, I suggest instead of one large HDD get two 500Gb HDD’s. Then put Windows 7 on C:, and your Data on the other Drive. Once you load Windows 7, you can connect your old 1Tb HDD and see if it can be read. If it can then you can copy your Data Files. It sounds like you didn’t have your Data Backed up. :cool:

Can you get into dos from your recovery disc?
If so run fixboot c:
Then type chkdsk and run it.
I had a desktop that would only boot to the starting windows logo and no further. Ruining these two commands sorted it out for me and further checks in windows showed a faulty sector at the start of the c partition.
Good luck.

Don’t forget to use fixmbr too. :wink:

[QUOTE=jojosh2001;2662376]I think HDD has bad sectors.
Install a new HDD and OS with restore DVD and connect your badly HDD in second HDD to retrieve data.[/QUOTE]

Let me make it clear to all who have been kind enough to make suggestions. My Hard Drive will not respond to any of Window 7’s, or my computer’s, built in solutions. My restore disks do not work. NOTHING works. My computer will not respond … PERIOD!
I can install a new Hard Drive, but since I can get no response from my Hard Drive, I don’t know of any way to retrieve my Window 7 OS to install on my new Hard Drive. With the cost of a new Hard Drive and the cost of a Windows 7 installation, I might as well buy a new computer with Windows 7 already installed, but that solution does not tell me how to retrieve the data from my dead Hard Drive.
I need a step by step procedure for retrieving my data and my Windows 7’s OS from my dead Hard Drive. Then, and only then, does it make sense to install a new Hard Drive.
Allow me to repeat … my Hard Drive will not respond to any of the normal procedures used, and I’ve tried them all, to get it to communicate. Where do I go from here???

[QUOTE=chef;2662373]Then grab your OS restore media which you have created after starting the computer for THE FIRST TIME.[/QUOTE]

Let me make it clear to all who have been kind enough to make suggestions. My Hard Drive will not respond to any of Window 7’s, or my computer’s, built in solutions. My restore disks do not work. NOTHING works. My computer will not respond … PERIOD!
I can install a new Hard Drive, but since I can get no response from my Hard Drive, I don’t know of any way to retrieve my Window 7 OS to install on my new Hard Drive. With the cost of a new Hard Drive and the cost of a Windows 7 installation, I might as well buy a new computer with Windows 7 already installed, but that solution does not tell me how to retrieve the data from my dead Hard Drive.
I need a step by step procedure for retrieving my data and my Windows 7’s OS from my dead Hard Drive. Then, and only then, does it make sense to install a new Hard Drive.
Allow me to repeat … my Hard Drive will not respond to any of the normal procedures used, and I’ve tried them all, to get it to communicate. Where do I go from here???

[QUOTE=alchav21;2662404]It does sound like your HDD is gone, I suggest instead of one large HDD get two 500Gb HDD’s. Then put Windows 7 on C:, and your Data on the other Drive. Once you load Windows 7, you can connect your old 1Tb HDD and see if it can be read. If it can then you can copy your Data Files. It sounds like you didn’t have your Data Backed up. :cool:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=chef;2662373]Then grab your OS restore media which you have created after starting the computer for THE FIRST TIME.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=weedougie;2662426]Can you get into dos from your recovery disc?
If so run fixboot c:
Then type chkdsk and run it.
I had a desktop that would only boot to the starting windows logo and no further. Ruining these two commands sorted it out for me and further checks in windows showed a faulty sector at the start of the c partition.
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jojosh2001;2662376]I think HDD has bad sectors.
Install a new HDD and OS with restore DVD and connect your badly HDD in second HDD to retrieve data.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ChrisMohrSr;2662543] Where do I go from here???[/QUOTE]Is it a desktop or laptop?

It’s a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop. Here’s the quicky tech support guide.

Mohr, we make many assumptions on these cases. (For example, you describe a very specific hard drive, and then you write “[I][B]NOTHING works. My computer will not respond … PERIOD![/B][/I]”, and this is confusing - does the Power Light come on at all? Do you know if it’s Hard Drive Failure instead of Computer’s Power Supply failure? In your first note, you said some diagnostics indicated “Hard Drive Failure.” So, I assume the computer’s fine, the hard drive is the ONLY failure. But “my computer will not respond PERIOD” is very confusing. I have to make assumptions at this point that we’re not dealing with a dead or flakey power supply.)

I suspect most of us readers are now assuming you haven’t made any Recovery Disks at this point, as Dell instructs when their computers are first started. Recovery CD-DVD sets contain Windows plus all the applications to restore a new hard-drive back to it’s ‘from factory’ original settings.

Of course, all the changes you’ve made, additional programs you’ve installed and all the data you’ve created will only be backed up when you’ve burned those to CDs or DVDs.

Dell may be able to sell you Recovery Disks for this model, but you’ll need to go thru Dell. If you haven’t created those when you had the chance, or haven’t created data-backups, well… we’ve ALL been thru this painful lesson before.

Back to the hard-drive… if you have another desktop computer that can accept SATA (new, modern ones) Drives, you could plug your old C: Drive into that other, certainly-running computer and see if your old hard-drive is detected by that functional computer.

That’s the quick, easy way to determine “Is my hard drive dead or not?”

If it’s dead, then getting data from it will be iffy and expensive. It could be the power-module, or it could be the small electronics board on the back of that drive that has fried, OR it could be a faulty disk-mechanism inside. Solving this might cost hundreds of dollars.

There is almost no way to determine this via long-distance or by writing about it.

If another computer can ‘see’ your hard-drive, then it data, at least, is recoverable from it. But I’d say, “Without Dell’s recovery disks, you’ve got about no chance to re-create Windows 7 for a new installation.”

I also don’t know how “step by step” you need instructions. Can you get the Dell case off? I assume so since you gave us a specific hard-drive model number.

Do you know about SATA data and SATA power cables? Can you distinguish those? The power cable will run from the back of the drive to the power-supply, and the data cable will connect to the motherboard.

If I installed a new hard drive into this computer, I’d first unplug the cables from the old hard-drive and use those for the new drive, then I’d install Windows.

Then I’d go back and plug in new cables to the old C: Drive (which might be re-detected as “D” or “E” drive IF the old hard drive is functioning at all), and I could transfer DATA files from the old drive to the new one.

But I don’t know how specific we need to make Step By Step instructions because it’s difficult to ascertain what your skill and comfort levels are.

And finally… we’re approaching Black Friday shopping and we’ll see some incredibly great prices on computers AND parts.

ChristineBCW covered everything pretty well.
If you have access to another computer a friends for example but they are not willing to let you swap your hard drive into their computer . They might let you connect it via an enclosure that is made for your hard drive . Usually USB .

[QUOTE=ChrisMohrSr;2662342]I have a Dell Inspiron 560 computer running Windows 7, Professional Version. My Hard Drive is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EALX)

The computer was working fine and then suddenly blacked out and would not go past the “Starting Windows” screen.
[/QUOTE]

We get it, you keep repeating the same thing, your computer doesn’t do anything. It does because it gets to the “Starting Windows.” So it does point to a bad HDD, and replacing the HDD would be the next step. For all practical purposes you can kiss your Data good bye. That’s why Backing up this Data is important before something like this happens. So if you take out this bad HDD and put in a new one and connect it the same way, when you turn on the computer it will come up with a message saying “No Operating System Found.” You have a License for Windows 7 so all you need is a Windows 7 Dell OEM Disk. Dell use to provide these, if not eBay should have some. You Boot up with it and load Windows 7. :cool: