Hard drive vs. DVD for storage

750gb=160dvd
500gb= 107dvd
250gb= 53dvd
160gb=34dvd
120gb=26dvd

hd = unreliable, sometime you will lose data not good for storing data only for temporary data that you don’t care if you lose it all in an instant. very expensive per gb.
dvd=permanent storage, you never have to worry about a crash that can cause you to lose everything, only problem is that if it is poorly burned then you lose everything as well on that disc but it is cheap to replace and disposable.
4 to 5 times cheaper per gb.

I have 120gb, 300gb, 160gb, and 250 gb. I do not plan to buy a bigger hd indefinitely because i have found that just handling the hd a little vibration causes some data to corrupt aka lots of freezes or unreadable. I have sold 120gb, 120gb, 160gb, 160gb recently on ebay so as you can see I did not find it so useful to have too many hd.

[QUOTE=sugarmommyst;1946631]750gb=160dvd
500gb= 107dvd
250gb= 53dvd
160gb=34dvd
120gb=26dvd

hd = unreliable, sometime you will lose data not good for storing data only for temporary data that you don’t care if you lose it all in an instant. very expensive per gb.
dvd=permanent storage, you never have to worry about a crash that can cause you to lose everything, only problem is that if it is poorly burned then you lose everything as well on that disc but it is cheap to replace and disposable.
4 to 5 times cheaper per gb.

I have 120gb, 300gb, 160gb, and 250 gb. I do not plan to buy a bigger hd indefinitely because i have found that just handling the hd a little vibration causes some data to corrupt aka lots of freezes or unreadable. I have sold 120gb, 120gb, 160gb, 160gb recently on ebay so as you can see I did not find it so useful to have too many hd.[/QUOTE]

You do need to maintain those drives a well to keep them working and constant cleaning and defragging of the HDD drives. Also what how much vibration or shock are you doing to you drive to make them fail that much?? Also maybe if you bought reliable drives that would solve part of the reliability problem as well. And having a good Antivirus or firewall or malware program or cleaner program to prevent problems coming to your HDD and causing more problems keep the drive more health and functioning longer.

As for DVD mentioned the benefits of DVD can’t be use if the HDD to which your taking the data from is gone rendering the DVD unusable at that point you can’t compare the two different type of storage mediums…so it’s like asking the “chicken and the egg” questions…there is neither a bad of the two hardware…Also HDD are inexpensive nowdays not like the past days of high HDD prices so a reflection on pricing should be noted as well…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;1946643]You do need to maintain those drives a well to keep them working and constant cleaning and defragging of the HDD drives. Also what how much vibration or shock are you doing to you drive to make them fail that much?? Also maybe if you bought reliable drives that would solve part of the reliability problem as well. And having a good Antivirus or firewall or malware program or cleaner program to prevent problems coming to your HDD and causing more problems keep the drive more health and functioning longer.

As for DVD mentioned the benefits of DVD can’t be use if the HDD to which your taking the data from is gone rendering the DVD unusable at that point you can’t compare the two different type of storage mediums…so it’s like asking the “chicken and the egg” questions…there is neither a bad of the two hardware…Also HDD are inexpensive nowdays not like the past days of high HDD prices so a reflection on pricing should be noted as well…[/QUOTE]

I agree with CoolColors!:iagree:

For me I would prefer external HD get a good 500G or depend how much data you are trying to store.
HD is more accessible than DVD. Imagine flicking 300 dvd’s even if they’re properly indexed. The question always arise which one a file was written into when you needed it? Not like HD only a few clicks and you’re there. You can carry whereever you go just plug the thiny and you got your data.
Thats’ the accesssibility question. Now you worry about losing data. DVD is as much vulnerable as HD because of storage and handling problems, it will also deteriorate and can be rendered unreadable by other softwares. HD in contrast if you lose them you can still recover it using especial recovery softwares depends how important the data is.

Remember also that all the stored data in the world now a days was contained on a HD somewhere. Be it known that one of UK’s department just lost 7 million personal data written on a disc recently.

To end, it all depends on the volume of data you want to store if its only few DVD’s then I suggest copy it to disc but if we are talking of hundred disc then its IMPRACTICAL.

I hope this will help your quest.

[quote=Ripperfreak;1946751]Be it known that one of UK’s department just lost 7 million personal data written on a disc recently.[/quote]To be fair this was an issue with sending unencrypted personal data stored on CDs through an internal mail system, and which never arrived at the destination: so in the context of this topic it is not relevant.

Some of us are desperately hoping that the data in question were written to Princo discs. :wink:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1946756]To be fair this was an issue with sending unencrypted personal data stored on CDs through an internal mail system, and which never arrived at the destination: so in the context of this topic it is not relevant.

Some of us are desperately hoping that the CDs in question were written to Princo discs. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep :iagree:

ROTFL @ the last part :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;1946756]To be fair this was an issue with sending unencrypted personal data stored on CDs through an internal mail system, and which never arrived at the destination: so in the context of this topic it is not relevant.

Some of us are desperately hoping that the CDs in question were written to Princo discs. ;)[/QUOTE]off with their heads :eek:

I have 120 gig 4 year old iomega external and 6 months old 500gig Freeagent seagate external never had a problem of crashes or data being lost on them yet. I read once in a forum a Buffalo drive dropped at table height and still functions as normal. If you have lost so many HDD due to crashes and vibs as you said then there’s a problem with your rig. I would be asking that question if i lost that many HDD’s

I used my iomega for ripping DVD’s so full of .iso files and photos and my seagate for MP3 music actually i needed another 500G as my collection is growing too fast.

What I do is I only turned on my seagate if I needed to. Connected but off also during a full virus scan and not necessarily needs defrags if you are not moving and deleting files that often.

[quote=imkidd57;1946756]To be fair this was an issue with sending unencrypted personal data stored on CDs through an internal mail system, and which never arrived at the destination: so in the context of this topic it is not relevant.

Some of us are desperately hoping that the data in question were written to Princo discs. ;)[/quote]

well, aint we discussing the HD vs DVD storage???

Is not Handling is one issue?

Mentioning that bull is just a reminder folks.

Aint we allowed anymore to go off topic a little?

If so then sorry folks my sincere apologies.

Hey [B]Ripperfreak[/B]: Yes I’m sorry; that did sound a bit harsh with the “not relevant” bit, and of course we can drift off-topic slightly :).

I was meaning the OP is looking for opinions on how long data lasts on different media, rather than the incompetence of people in charge of it.

It’s a good topic all of its own but I’m trying to keep to the spirit of the question originally posed. :wink:

noted :bow::bow:

Over the past couple of years, I have experienced more data disappearing from failing DVDs than from failing hard disks. With how cheap hard disks have become, I mainly use additional hard disks to keep backups (where my photos, documents, etc. are stored between at least two HDDs). From my experience, it is also far quicker and easier to replicate one large HDD on to another (e.g. 300GB to a 300GB) than it is to keep track of around a hundred DVDs and remembering to index them, as Ripperfreak mentioned above.

While I hear about people saying how easily HDDs can be damaged, the same definitely can be said about DVDs. For example, I accidentally dropped a Samsung 120GB 2.5” HDD on to a tile floor from desk height. It got some bad sectors as a result of this, but just about all the data could be copied back off. I’ve also had a few DVD-Rs fracture and become unusable after a similar drop.

Finally, anyone planning on getting a Blu-ray drive and BD-R media may want to consider its price per GB first. Here in Ireland, the cheapest I can get a BD-R (never mind a Blu-ray writer) is about €14 for a 25GB disc, which works out at 56c/GB. I can easily pick up a USB 500GB HDD for €100, which works out at 20c/GB or about 1/3 the cost of storing data on Blu-ray! :wink:

To have unlimited storage you need dvd
I’m not gonna spend 5 times more for HD…
20 cent per 4.7 gb or 1 dollar per 4.7gb
HD is for editing purpose not for storage never meant for storage…
Its like ram but doesn’t disappear after a reboot.
that’s why dvd = backup. in the old days we have backup tapes
but that is obsolete and replace with these instead which is a lot faster and more efficient.
to compare a dropped HD on your floor vs a cracked dvd is unfair
if you dropped your hd on concrete and it is in ruin…
its a bit bias…
when i say unreliable I mean the click of death
or data corruption happening at an increment rates…

if hd is really realiable then what’s the point of dvd???
is dvd temporary storage??
hd = permanent storage??
i think you got it backward…
i have known to lose a lot of data from my HD
everything on it just cause some virus decides to mess up my partition table to the point it is unrecoverable
just because it doesn’t happen to everyone doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen at all…
instead of buying 500gb for 100 bucks
i went with 500 dvd = 2350gb or 2.3TB
if i’m backing up a lot of useless entertainment junk say movies
animes
it is unimportant if 1 or 2 disc out of 100 batch is corrupt
that’s very good already u know…

you guys are obsess with burning dvd
why aren’t ya in favor of dvd as backup???

I decided to experiment with dvd burner and bought many many kinds
to see how they all behave and if they all burn the same media the same quality or difffernt quality.
to my surprise they do behave differently due to hardware, and firmware differences…

i ain’t gonna buy 500gb or 750gb in the near future
the HD is becoming obsolete…
there’s no reason to make something unreliable really really huge…

y, I am gonna buy HD DVD or blueray not bluray
bluray??? incorrect spelling.
25gbx 10 = 250gb
x 100 = 2.5TB

in the mean time i have many many blank dvd to burn as many data as I need… that is makes no sense to pay 500-700 for a blueray burner… i can wait 5-10 more years…

[QUOTE=sugarmommyst;1947365]To have unlimited storage you need dvd
I’m not gonna spend 5 times more for HD…
20 cent per 4.7 gb or 1 dollar per 4.7gb
HD is for editing purpose not for storage never meant for storage…
Its like ram but doesn’t disappear after a reboot.
that’s why dvd = backup. in the old days we have backup tapes
but that is obsolete and replace with these instead which is a lot faster and more efficient.
to compare a dropped HD on your floor vs a cracked dvd is unfair
if you dropped your hd on concrete and it is in ruin…
its a bit bias…
when i say unreliable I mean the click of death
or data corruption happening at an increment rates…

if hd is really realiable then what’s the point of dvd???
is dvd temporary storage??
hd = permanent storage??
i think you got it backward…
i have known to lose a lot of data from my HD
everything on it just cause some virus decides to mess up my partition table to the point it is unrecoverable
just because it doesn’t happen to everyone doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen at all…
instead of buying 500gb for 100 bucks
i went with 500 dvd = 2350gb or 2.3TB
if i’m backing up a lot of useless entertainment junk say movies
animes
it is unimportant if 1 or 2 disc out of 100 batch is corrupt
that’s very good already u know…

you guys are obsess with burning dvd
why aren’t ya in favor of dvd as backup???

I decided to experiment with dvd burner and bought many many kinds
to see how they all behave and if they all burn the same media the same quality or difffernt quality.
to my surprise they do behave differently due to hardware, and firmware differences…

i ain’t gonna buy 500gb or 750gb in the near future
the HD is becoming obsolete…
there’s no reason to make something unreliable really really huge…

y, I am gonna buy HD DVD or blueray not bluray
bluray??? incorrect spelling.
25gbx 10 = 250gb
x 100 = 2.5TB

in the mean time i have many many blank dvd to burn as many data as I need… that is makes no sense to pay 500-700 for a blueray burner… i can wait 5-10 more years…[/QUOTE]

I don’t know where your getting your technology info but HDD isn’t going to go away anytime soon…just look now they have 1TB drives and your saying it will become obsolete??? No one here is bias to HDD or DVD the fact is your trying to compare to very different media storage that does the same job but for very different reasons. And whether you buy a larger HDD or HD or BD is up to your own decision. Also DVD can’t be written and delete unless you buy the RW media and if you need to use that drive you will have to take out the DVD media to use that drive so you have limited abilities at that point already and having two drives that is exposed to the environment meaning they open and close will let in dust eventually getting into the drive and reducing the life-span of the drive itself, making one have to open and constantly clean the drive…but HDD is sealed preserving it’s internal parts from outside contaminations. So back to HD and DVD comparison are two very different forms of media storage with their Con and Pro…and for me I will take it with both my HDD and DVD drives together…thankyou…

I think a HD is currently the best solution for storage. It is reliable, fast and provides easy access. I have a couple of HDs in USB enclosures and one has been going strong for almost three years. I only have these drives turned on when I am backing up data. Overall they see VERY LITTLE use. At the rate they are used I doubt they will go bad for a very long time. I would bet both of my drives have less than 200 hours of run time on them. Also, the USB interface will be around for quite a while and the newer versions will likely be backward compatible.

One thing that you have to realize is that backing up data is not a one time function. I have gone from using tapes to CDs to DVDs and now HDs to keep data safe. When the next best solution comes along it is best to migrate to it. This leaves you with the best hope of never losing any information that you can’t live without. Also, if the data you are archiving is that important then keep multiple copies of it and have them stored in separate places. Much of my data is on various media and I have numerous HD backups too.

well i read most of the posts above… and both sides have good arguments over “which is better” be it DVD or HDD.

the way i see it if money aint a issue and data is super super important to you… get BOTH of em and burn two copies in two different types of media and keep a copy on a external hdd.

me personally though… overall i prefer DVD as for archival use (not every day use) i prefer DVD (quality ones like TY 8x will most likely last 5-10+ years by looking at peoples scans from a few years back that show no degradation etc) cause HDD seems vulnerable to accidental data loss from say a virus or accidental deletion etc etc it just aint “permanent” like DVD is… and since DVD are for archival use that should mean it’s “unlikely” that they will get damaged due to bad handling etc since you wont be using them often… i guess the main thing that seems against HDD, is the HDD’s have moving parts where they could potentially fail at anytime without warning unlike “quality” (TY) DVD’s where if they burn well initially odds are they will last 5-10+ years where as a hard drive “might” last this long but it just seems more likely to fail vs a DVD in my opinion.

but i guess the positive side of HDD’s is… there just easy to use and quick data transfers and like someone said above “a few clicks” and you got access to the data vs dvd’s where u might have to shuffle through a 100+ discs would not be fun etc etc etc :frowning: lol.

but in my case most of the stuff i backup is XviD movies which i also have a main copy on my hdd for general use and the DVD is in case the hard drives fail… so in my case overall the DVD’s are better than HDD’s for storage… but i can see how for some people HDD’s would be better than DVD’s.

it’s all opinion on whats better and you just got to figure out for yourself what you think is overall better in “YOUR” situation… but like i said in the first sentence if the data is super important to you make atleast 3 backups (1 external hdd and 2 dvd’s (like say TY and Verbatim for example)) and in a case like this it’s highly unlikely all three of those would fail at the same time, hence no chance of data loss :wink:

also the argument about “Price per GB” (DVD vs HDD) is getting less and less true nowadays as hard drive prices keep getting cheaper and cheaper. but like someone already said above (as of now) DVD’s are roughly 4-5times cheaper to burn vs using HDD for storage. but as time passes that might get close to the 1:1 price range then DVD wont be so appealing as it is now… and i figure by the time HDD’s get close to the “price per GB” of dvd’s odds are dvd’s will be obsolete and something like HD-DVD or BluRay will be common then etc.

“instead of buying 500gb for 100 bucks
i went with 500 dvd = 2350gb or 2.3TB”

thats a bad comparison… cause for the same “price” ranges you could only get “about” (a little more but this is close) 2 100pack spindles (200 DVD’s total) of quality dvd’s (8x DVD+R TY) which would only be anywhere between 940GB (200 DVD’s) - 1.2-1.3TB (250DVD’s) for same price comparisons… BUT as time passes that 500GB HDD might become 50 dollars. once that happens the argument over price is probably out the window. (since dvd’s are pretty much steady at there current prices and probably will be for sometime to come and hard drives are ALWAYS droping in price)

but even this is still about a 2.x:1 ratio in favor of DVD if your stricktly looking at storage space for your money.