Hard Drive Transfer

I’m looking to upgrade the Hard Drive on my Toshiba Satellite A135 from an 80GB stock (I believe it’s stock) to a 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS
The drive I’m looking at is a Bare Drive, but I could get the non-bare version if need be.

My question is, would it be at all possible to move absolutely EVERYTHING (including Windows) to the new Hard Drive? I’m only asking because I’d rather not have to go buy Vista Ultimate, since that’s what I got when I bought this computer from my PC repairing friend.

Unfortunately,after avoiding Vista FOREVER, it’s grown on me, and I’d rather keep it.

Yes you can by using any one of a number of HD cloning programs. I use Norton Ghost but there are many more available. I suggest you hook up the new hard drive as a slave, boot from your old HD and then us the cloning software and write your old drive image to the new one. Then make the new HD your boot drive and you should be fine.

[QUOTE=squall042;2309719]I’m looking to upgrade the Hard Drive on my Toshiba Satellite A135 from an 80GB stock (I believe it’s stock) to a 320GB Seagate Momentus 7200.3 ST9320421AS
The drive I’m looking at is a Bare Drive, but I could get the non-bare version if need be.

My question is, would it be at all possible to move absolutely EVERYTHING (including Windows) to the new Hard Drive? I’m only asking because I’d rather not have to go buy Vista Ultimate, since that’s what I got when I bought this computer from my PC repairing friend.

Unfortunately,after avoiding Vista FOREVER, it’s grown on me, and I’d rather keep it.[/QUOTE]

Well first off you should look at your Device manager and make sure what kinda HDD and model you have??? So what O/S are you keeping your statement isn’t clear. If you want to move everything from the old HDD to the new HDD you will need some kinda imaging software and copy the old HDD to a flash stick or dvd and then you can use that imaging software back onto the new HDD. From what I can find the company review it’s a Sata HDD so you should be able to put a larger capacity HDD into the HDD. Your bare drive statement is confusing you mean you found the right drive or ???

[QUOTE=UTR;2309733]Yes you can by using any one of a number of HD cloning programs. I use Norton Ghost but there are many more available. I suggest you hook up the new hard drive as a slave, boot from your old HD and then us the cloning software and write your old drive image to the new one. Then make the new HD your boot drive and you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

If you didn’t notice that is a laptop and what your telling the OP to do is if it was a desktop.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2309737]If you didn’t notice that is a laptop and what your telling the OP to do is if it was a desktop.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out. He can do the same by just using a USB to IDE/SATA connector. Then swap the new drive for the old one when the cloning is completed. Cloning a laptop HD is actually easier, IMO, than cloning one in a desktop.

For the OP, here is a link to a USB to IDE/SATA connector: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186036

Cloning software, then? Sounds like it’ll work to me.
Very sorry about not being very precise, I was a little distracted when I wrote this post.
It IS a laptop, so I would need the cable. Would an external enclosure work as well? I’d rather have that so I could use the old HDD as an external for backups and such.

Yes,
The enclosures are $10-$40 at microcenter.

BTW I have used a 2.5 IDE to 3.5 IDE connector. For this you remove the old drive backup the image to your desktop hard drive in dvd sized peices if need be. Then connect the new drive to the desktop via the connector an restore. The connector was about $15. I prefer it to USB because of its speed and simplicity.

In any case make sure you know if your drive is SATA or IDE.

[QUOTE=squall042;2309782]Cloning software, then? Sounds like it’ll work to me.
Very sorry about not being very precise, I was a little distracted when I wrote this post.
It IS a laptop, so I would need the cable. Would an external enclosure work as well? I’d rather have that so I could use the old HDD as an external for backups and such.[/QUOTE]

An enclosure would work just as well as what I linked and would serve to use the old drive as external storage.

Make sure if IDE or SATA.
Get 2.5 IDE to 3.5 IDE connector, if IDE. (Very handy -good to have.)
Get 2.5 IDE or SATA enclosure. (Also very handy- external backup.)
Clone the drive old to new.
Install new drive in laptop - DO NOT WRITE OVER OLD DRIVE YET.
Give the new setup a few days to be sure it is all OK.
I’ve used Drive Image & Acronis Tru Image. Very simple to use.
Just boot from Acronis CD - Back-up Old to New.
Good Luck.