Hard drive restore

vbimport

hello all.

here is my prob:

2 or 3 years ago i made a backup of a hard drive and i wasnt sure what backup program i used. i just found the cdrs i backed up to and they are in mint condition. i inserted one of the disks and opened it with notepad which someone suggested and scrolled through the stuff and found the word nero.
so i guess i used an older version of nero for this roughly, 25 cdr backup.

what i would like to know is, while all my systems run xp pro now,
can i just install a fresh hard drive with win 98 (thats the os i was using at the time) and use nero 6 (full version) to correctly reinstall this old bakup to the new 98 hard drive?

any help would be much appreciated as i had a lot of pics of family and friends on that hd.

thank u very much
gerry.

bump? :bow:

Originally posted by Supafly136

can i just install a fresh hard drive with win 98 and use nero 6 to correctly reinstall this old bakup to the new 98 hard drive?

i had a lot of pics of family and friends on that hd.

Why not to just recover those files using the mentioned [COLOR=blue]programs instead of reinstalling the back-ups ?[/COLOR]

thank you very much for the reply.

but i would really like to have an exact copy using the disks just in case i miss anything such as files i may have forgotten about.

im very new to this so i was hoping you could give me a rough idea on how to do this with nero 6.

ive searched neros site and this one also but cant find a dummy guide lol.

also, should i just format the new hd then do the install or should i install a fresh 98 os and update it, then try the bakups on it?

i just want the easiest way (who doesnt lol) to do it and im hoping the new nero will work even though the backup was made with an older version of nero.

thanx.:sad:

what is the extension of the backup files you found on the hard drive

if its gho or gh1,2 etc then its norton ghost

if its its p?? (forgot the exact extension) then its powerquest drive image)

actually i no longer have the hard drive, i just have the 25 disk backup and i want to put it on a fresh drive.
on the discs theres an icon that looks like notepad and under it is: BK_02_113.dat

if i try to open it with notepad it says its too big but ive opened it before and found the word nero in it somewhere. maybe it was with word, but i dont remember.

here’s a thought to back-up designers…why not include a tag file called “restore.exe” on the first or last disc…hrrrrrrrrrrmmmm :slight_smile:

Supafly,

Personaly, never used Nero’s back-up utility because always needed to back-up the active drive…and it’s always shunned this, least it’s warnings say…

your plan sounds sound…install 98se, install nero…atempt restore. but would suggest, if you have the resources…restore to a different phyical disc than boot disk…if it tanks, you still have the cd’s…other thn time…no harm…no foul…

the restore disc will most likely not be bootable, you’l have to rearrange the slave/master setting…and perhaps…“sys” the disk with a 98 bootable floppy…:slight_smile:

Let me know how it goes…curious…:slight_smile:

awsome.

my drive will be here soon and ill go for it and let you know.

thanx for all the info folks! :bow: :bow: :bow: