Hard Drive Problem

Hi,

Here is my problem. I turned on my computer today and it wouldn’t dectect the hard drive so I looked inside the case and noticed that a component (I guess that’s what I would call it) fell off of the bottom of the hard drive. Now the drive won’t spin at all. It looks like the solder let go on the component. My question is, can I solder the component back on and get it to work?

Here is a picture:

It’s the silver component.

Thanks,

Hydro

It depends on what component some have many small pins and contacts and would take a great deal of care, best left to the pros. If you post a photo you may get better advice.

Here is a picture:

Looks like a timing crystal, I would not think it would just fall out. In many cases it has only 2 pins and a tiny dab of solder (tiny tip iron) on the board holes then a quick insert (low force as you don’t want to damage the foil on the back of the board) of the crystal may do the trick. This is a bit tricky just enough heat to melt the solder, be sure the pins ar clean first. Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. It probably fell off when I took the hard drive out. I probably knocked it off. Would that cause it to not spin though?

Any one missing component could be the cause of the problem.

[QUOTE=Hydr0_2007]Hi,

Here is my problem. I turned on my computer today and it wouldn’t dectect the hard drive so I looked inside the case and noticed that a component (I guess that’s what I would call it) fell off of the bottom of the hard drive. Now the drive won’t spin at all. It looks like the solder let go on the component. My question is, can I solder the component back on and get it to work?

Here is a picture:

Not recommended you better contact the manufacturer and see if your drive still covers by warranty and HD is so cheap these days that sometimes is worth the hassle you will be better off to buy the new one and replace the troubled HD.

If thats a picture of your actual drive then it is seriously old. I have one of these drives in a draw and it used to hold 20MB of data.

If you have the drive serial number then try going to the manufaturers website and putting that into their RMA program and see if its covered.