Hard drive prices drop back to pre-flood levels, and SSD prices show slight rise

I just posted the article Hard drive prices drop back to pre-flood levels, and SSD prices show slight rise.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hard-drive-prices-drop-back-to-pre-flood-levels-and-ssd-prices-show-slight-rise-66908/](http://www.myce.com/news/hard-drive-prices-drop-back-to-pre-flood-levels-and-ssd-prices-show-slight-rise-66908/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I noticed the spinners got real cheap but I didn’t notice much of an increase in SSD prices, maybe a slight increase on the superior SSDs but that’s it, but nand is a commodity, it changes prices everyday, its been cheap for a very long time , maybe its on the uptrend now.

Thanks Kerry, very interesting

One day, I’ll manage to buy an HDD at the right time. It appears that I brought my latest big spinners just exactly at the wrong time :doh:

Regds, JR

We’ve just landed our second Baker’s Dozen of Toshiba 3Tb drives and we’ll set up two more 6-drive RAIDs, save the 13th one as a cold-spare, and put our original pair into a customer location. Those work well, nothing fancy but seem competitive to our Seagate Constell’s and WD Black RAIDs at a nicer price.

We’ve been pushing Seagate’s low-end consume 4Tb DM4000 RAIDs too on motherboards (talk about risky!) but those too seem to be fine. Those are 3-4-drive media centers - not exactly high-performance-required but we’ll see how those hold up to home-abuse instead of office abuse.

The price-gouging from The Flood may have lit up a larger segment of the industry than those yahoos expected (I hope that was the blame for PC sales) but the more significant issue is that we’re only seeing now the 1Tb-per-platter drives that were announced just months before the Flood. This is a 2-year delay, and I don’t think this is Technology or Manufacturing limits, but pure market tippy-toe’ing.

If they (and specifically Seagate since they have such a large segment) babystep us into the next capacity upgrades, I think they’ll be pulling their own loo chain to flush away whatever advantages they enjoy over SSDs. Server Farms are getting more “cost per watt” research that shows SSDs pay for huge price differences in 28-44 months of historic utilities cost - and anyone want to guess which direction utility prices go?!!

We’re seeing low-end 2Tbs settle in the $90-110 range, 3Tb in the $120+ range and occasionally seeing 4Tb internals hit $160. But we see External 4Tb hit $150-170 commonly - every other week, some ‘sale’.

I can’t quite figure out why Externals would ever be cheaper except that they’re assembled of disk-units that failed some constant-use test, and the vendors figure that “no one uses externals constantly so this is a good dumping-ground for QC-Failed internals.”

Last November, 3TB drives were $90, so it’s difficult to get excited about $120.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2685365]We’ve just landed our second Baker’s Dozen of Toshiba 3Tb drives and we’ll set up two more 6-drive RAIDs, save the 13th one as a cold-spare, and put our original pair into a customer location. Those work well, nothing fancy but seem competitive to our Seagate Constell’s and WD Black RAIDs at a nicer price. [/QUOTE]

Where do you actually find Toshiba product?
All that the local Vendors (Alberta) seem to carry is the junk from either Seagate or WD.

OldD, here’s a NewEgg USA page. I was thinking that Amazon.CA would give me the same as Amazon USA but noooo, once again, CA and USA Amazons must be on different hemispheres suddenly. (I wish I understood THAT issue!)

POW brought up price fluctuations and it’s tough to understand how the industry can do worm-dipping bait practices with dramatic swings. Hitachi 3Tbs have been $299, $199, $149, $169, $219, $249 in a 10-week period a few months ago. On the wholesale side, it’s been even more dramatic and for even shorter periods of time (“you must buy a lot of a 100 in the next six hours!”).

These aren’t tidal. These are tsunami’s of price changes. How can any segment hope to retain some dignity or respect when pricings seem so willy-nilly and capricious?

Does anyone have respect for Big Oil? No. The worldwide opinion of anything stained with a “Big Oil” label is somewhere between terrorism and monstrous.

Perhaps the infamous Price Dumpings create these tidal effects, but somewhere, a kajillion folks like Powerhorn are saying, “So what? Why bother buying NOW, or THIS month,” and then other folks like JR are saying, “I keep buying at the wrong time” and start locking up their wallets.

For me, these are bigger factors in Non-Sales than Win8’s refusal to allow user-defined customizations or an easy ability to find All Programs.

For the most part… demand won’t pick up for HDD’s until Q4 when major purchasing contracts come into play and stock must be liquidated from q2 & q3. Also for the average consumer… they’ve seen 4tb capacities lying around for 2+ years now… until a new drive hits the market with higher capacity I’m recommending most consumers sit on their hands and punish the HDD industry by not buying (except for exceptionally GOOD deal$). HDD makers waited far too long too get a drive over 4tb to market… IMO, consolidation killed off innovation and it could take ANOTHER10 years (2023 god damn it!!) to get anywhere near the capacity turnover rates we used to have even in the 90s-- quite sad. Think about other industries that have fewer choices and what they output; telecom, oil & energy; healthcare, etc- so I’m not just dumping on the HDD sector.
Seriously, was a flood in ONE country a convenient excuse to do nothing about making new HDD’s? Nobody stopped innovating volatile flash memory after the fire in Japan all those years ago.

As for SSD, IMO, USB 3.0 flash drives have some say about WHERE ssd prices go… since it IS possible to use a usb drive as your primary HDD under certain config solutions–albeit not an ideal solution should the flash stick suddenly become “DEAD” or stuck in READ ONLY mode. Some day I’d like to see USB & SATA merge as a unified interface. They’ve been running a parallel interface war under the radar screen since the days of “ZIP” cartridge drives & tape drives. Don’t misunderstand, I’m for unified standards, not zero competition- you need a good 5+ companies making the products.

hdd prices have finally dipped back down to the levels seen before the destructive floods in Thailand 18 months ago, which disrupted production and caused a large spike in prices.

No they haven’t. For months before the floods I was buying 2TB Samsung and Western Diginal drives for around £45-£49 in Scans today only deals.

Looking now the drives are £70.

And really by this time if they were down on pre-floods it should be the 3TB’s purchasable for £49 not the 2TBs again given the way this industry works.

Anthony, I hadn’t priced AmazUK and thanks for that update. These price fluctuations, I believe, destabilize consumers’ interest in buying. Like JR lamenting he was “buying at the wrong time”. And like Kerry pointed out (as have others) in other threads, “People don’t feel a need to buy new - their old computers are doing just fine.”

I’ve seen few articles lamenting The Killer App that would force consumers into new hardware. The 3Tb+ limit that UEFI and OS-64s can break is a good reason BUT at a price premium? Obviously, the market forces have been screaming NO THANKS.

Lately, I’ve seen Kaspersky 2013 installed and complain about IE 8 - “This is too vulnerable for K-2013 to protect well, so be warned.”

This is one more pinprick against XP, therefore - but fatal? “No, I’ll just use Firefox as my default…” is a good answer. XP still has programs that are critical to productivity in many businesses, and when those places consider the massive UI training costs plus the OS costs, many of them will say, “Take the production floor to the Linux flavors, instead… if workers have to learn something new, let’s minimize the costs.”

That’s what, I think, the Consumer Market is doing. Price fluctuations breed this “buying at the wrong time” sentiment, and it also breeds a feeling of being exploited and fleeced. How many of us enjoy having that done twice?

As you write, they need to get the prices down, stabilized and that’s what can open the purchasing again. I do wonder if they’ve simply flushed the whole market away, though. “I don’t do anything productive on the computer anyway - why buy a new one? I’ll use a smartphone to Google up anyone’s address - that’s the biggest Need I have.”

After all, we’ve seen James Bond save the world via his smartphone for the last 3 films. The PC MUST be dead!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2685428]The 3Tb+ limit that UEFI and OS-64s can break is a good reason BUT at a price premium? Obviously, the market forces have been screaming NO THANKS. [/QUOTE]

To be honest what prompts my purchase is platter density. I often sell my hard drives on ebay and rebuy the exact same capacity with less platters.

It does seem the hard drive industry seems to have stagnated. I noticed a news story a few weeks back on Myce saying an announcement has been made over a 4TB drive with 4 platters. And I was thinking how is that an advancement. They hit 1TB/Platter just before the floods hit.

The hard drive industry needs to get back on track. A 3TB drive with 2 platters would be news worthy and worth an upgrade to me.

Who buys second hand HDD’s? :slight_smile:

Crucial just came out with a 1TB SSD, it very fast and very nice for 599.99. I know all you spinner fans are going to say , "well I can buy a 1TB spinner for 59.99, why should spend 599.99 for a 1TB SSD?"
I will tell you why. It transforms a plain laptop into a new experience. Yes you can buy a new laptop for 599.99 but not with a 120 GB SSD much less a 1 Tb SSD. I am going to have one.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT960M500SSD1

My Samsung 1Tb 2.5" drive was 59.99 last week. I could buy a 128Gb SSD for around $100, put that in the optical bay, and have the best of both worlds for $440 less than a 1Tb SSD.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2685432]To be honest what prompts my purchase is platter density. I often sell my hard drives on ebay and rebuy the exact same capacity with less platters.

It does seem the hard drive industry seems to have stagnated. I noticed a news story a few weeks back on Myce saying an announcement has been made over a 4TB drive with 4 platters. And I was thinking how is that an advancement. They hit 1TB/Platter just before the floods hit.

The hard drive industry needs to get back on track. A 3TB drive with 2 platters would be news worthy and worth an upgrade to me.[/QUOTE]

If memory serves me, Seagate only announced 1Tb/platter drives for the lower capacity drives, not the 4Tb, though it was claimed that was in the works. Hitachi was also rumored to have a 1Tb/platter 5Tb drive in the works in the fall of 2011 before the monsoon/flooding in Thailand hit.

The original plans for 4Tb drives were 5 platters, and 5-platter 3.5" drives have been normal, or well-used, in the past so I’ve presumed we’d see 5Tb drives ASAP - but so far, not a peep!

I don’t know if the market will seriously embrace a baby-steps process of capacity increases like they’ve traditionally accepted (going from 1Tb per platter to 1.3, then 1.5, then 1.67 or 1.8, finally the 2Tb per platter density).

I hope they’ll push the envelope faster IF they want to any HDD momentum. If they babystep this again, I think we can assume the HDD industry is willing to kiss its… well, goodbye.

When folks get tired of subscribing and never owning anything, they might appreciate larger-than-1Tb storage possibilities. If not, well, the memory module price increases are just beginning.

[QUOTE=debro;2685436]Who buys second hand HDD’s? :)[/QUOTE]

Tons of people…I sell all the time. Stuff sells in minutes. You just need a resonable price. If you sell at half…people jump.

Now that I look, Hard Disk Drive prices seem to have jumped in the last few weeks …
I only noticed because I was looking at retrofitting my NAS with a pair of 4TB’s a few weeks ago (and decided to wait a few weeks) … and all the lower capacity HDD prices seem to have increased since I looked a few weeks ago …