Hard drive partition

vbimport

I have an Acer Aspire M1100, 32 bit,Vista Home Premium, I have had it a while and it has just come to my attention that the drive is in two parts, i.e. Acer: c: Data: D, it must have come that way from the factory as I have never upgraded or changed anything, what is the Data drive used for, it is empty, can I unify them or somehow get rid of the Data drive. The hard drive is 320gb, half of which, at this point is being wasted.T.I.A.

Drive D is not wasted, you simply weren’t aware of it and so you haven’t used it for storing your data apparently.
You can begin creating folders on Drive D to store your own data, like documents, images,
music, videos, etc.
You can use partitioning software to unify the two Partitions into one, but it isn’t necessary–You just need to begin saving your personal data to drive D.
You can also move any of your personal data that is currently stored on Drive C to Drive D. This is recommended.
(Also, There may also be a hidden folder on drive D with a Restore Image by Acer.)

Thanks very much for the reply, excuse my ignorance, but I dont know what process is used to make the transfer from C: to D:.

Drag and drop?

If you have some programs setup to save data in a particular folder on your C: drive you may have to change the path when you need to access/save that data if you move it from it’s current location on C: to the D: partition.

I have not seen any store bought computer with the drive’s come partitioned for use.
They usually only come with the D Data drive just big enough to handle the recovery software ( your operating system ).

You may want to recheck the size of the D Drive, if you mess it up you will not be able to recover your computer if something goes wrong.

I am sure you did not get a software disc with the operating system on it, it is on that D Drive.Be carfull what you do.

[QUOTE=bean55;2456385]I have not seen any store bought computer with the drive’s come partitioned for use.
They usually only come with the D Data drive just big enough to handle the recovery software ( your operating system ).

You may want to recheck the size of the D Drive, if you mess it up you will not be able to recover your computer if something goes wrong.

I am sure you did not get a software disc with the operating system on it, it is on that D Drive.Be carfull what you do.[/QUOTE] D: drive is 144G

durkinjt,

I would assist you further but I have virtually no experience with Vista and I don’t want to lead you astray.
Perhaps another member here with Vista experience can provide more assistance.