Hard Drive/MB problem (Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB - hard drive - 500 GB - ATA-100)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKB - hard drive - 500 GB - ATA-100. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Okay, here’s my problem. First my motherboard is MSI MS 7061. I wanted to buy a new hard drive because i currently have only 80 GB. So i bought this WD5000AAKB and it does not work. My pc doesnt even start up, it just shuts down like 2 seconds after i attemp to switch it on. When i unplug this new hard drive, everything is ok. Even if when i try to run the pc with only the new hard drive, it still doesnt work, so it must be the disk. Do you have any ideas please? Would be much appreciated :o

Thnaks in advance

OK, assuming that this new drive is for additional storage and your 80GB is still the primary with your OS…
Make sure that the drives are “jumpered” correctly.
If you are using the CS setting, make sure that both drives are jumpered to the CS location and that the 80 is on the end of the cable.
If you want to use Master/Slave, jumper the 80 to master and the 500 to slave. I would still keep the 80 on the end of the cable.

Check jumpers (which most likely is your issue).
Master (HDD) should be at the end of the cable.
//Danne

that MB is very old it seems. You can try and dl the latest BIOS for the MB.