Hard drive low level format

vbimport

#1

I have a hard driver that has a pile of bad clusters and wont format properly but i got told a low level format might be able too fix this hard drive but i dont know how to do it.

Does anyone know how to do a low level format?

Thanks.


#2

google for : MAXLLF

If it’s a SCSI drive , type CTRL-A for the Adaptec bios. If another scsi card , check your manual.


#3

Its just small 10gig seagate ide hard drive.


#4

Originally posted by PaRaNoiD
Its just small 10gig seagate ide hard drive.

MAXLLF it is then


#5

Thanks Mr. Belvedere.


#6

Does “MAXLLF” work for any IDE HD? Or only for maxtor drives?


#7

If your going to do a low level format,check your hdd makers site for low level format exe. before trying any other llf exe.


#8

despite what matrox says , maxllf works with any ide device , even laptops and ultra ata


#9

you can llf from BIOS, that’ll work. Still, I recommend throwing tha HDD and getting a new one , ESPECIALLY if you intend to burn CDs from the HDD.


#10

Originally posted by war4peace
you can llf from BIOS, that’ll work. Still, I recommend throwing tha HDD and getting a new one , ESPECIALLY if you intend to burn CDs from the HDD.

Arwuh ?

You suggest throwing away the “bad sector” disk without even TRYING to repair it ?

And how the hell is cd recording affecting the drive ?
Bad clusters are MARKED and not used by the operating system and thus not affecting writing to disc via temporary files or files on that disk.

I’ll give you credit if you meant that in most of the times an harddisk with bad sectors tends to get more and more bad sectors over a period of time. (For instance , a liitle dust moving around the platter , destroying the surface and everytime it moves , it destroys another piece of the platter).


#11

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]

I’ll give you credit if you meant that in most of the times an harddisk with bad sectors tends to get more and more bad sectors over a period of time. (For instance , a liitle dust moving around the platter , destroying the surface and everytime it moves , it destroys another piece of the platter). [/B]

Yes, that is what I meant. Upon copying data on HDD for burning, you can have more clusters damaged. I wouldn’t mind for a bad cluster or two. but if you have more than 1% of the drive damaged, that could lead to the existence of some impurities inside the drive. So… it’s unsafe to use it.

Check out Active Smart (it’s an effective tool for SMART capabilities of your drive).


#12

Originally posted by war4peace
[B]

Yes, that is what I meant. Upon copying data on HDD for burning, you can have more clusters damaged. I wouldn’t mind for a bad cluster or two. but if you have more than 1% of the drive damaged, that could lead to the existence of some impurities inside the drive. So… it’s unsafe to use it.

Check out Active Smart (it’s an effective tool for SMART capabilities of your drive). [/B]

I know , i used it.

You get credit.


#13

Thank you.

After 10+ years of hardware troubleshooting I think I know a small amount of things :slight_smile: