Hard Drive Help

HI All,

I have a Seagate 200gb hard drive that suffered a power serge.
I am trying to recover what i can from it however when i put it back in to my computer all i get for about 10min is a black screen then windows will start.
Once windows is running it takes about 5min for each step of trying to run the Data recovery demo program i downloaded.
The mother board can see the drive however windows can not.
Can anyone help me?
Why is this drive slowing down my computer so much?
How would you suggest for me to recover what i need?
My computer works fine with just the new hard drive in it.

Thanks

Andrew
:sad::doh:

[QUOTE=Easy68;2028869]HI All,

I have a Seagate 200gb hard drive that suffered a power serge.
I am trying to recover what i can from it however when i put it back in to my computer all i get for about 10min is a black screen then windows will start.
Once windows is running it takes about 5min for each step of trying to run the Data recovery demo program i downloaded.
The mother board can see the drive however windows can not.
Can anyone help me?
Why is this drive slowing down my computer so much?
How would you suggest for me to recover what i need?
My computer works fine with just the new hard drive in it.

Thanks

Andrew
:sad::doh:[/QUOTE]
I would just recommend getting a new hard-drive, cause if you had a real bad power surge there is probably no hope for your Seagate.

You could try getting a hard-drive enclosure so you can hook your hard-drive into a usb port. To try to recover it.

Sorry Easy I can’t help you on that but after you get it straightened out I would recommend that you get a spare hard drive and clone to it and then update it every 3 to 6 months which would save you headaches if this ever happened again. Also if you do get a spare after you clone it then unplug it and just let it sit in the computer not hooked up just to be safe

The slowness is caused by Windows trying to communicate with the drive (which is obviously dead/dying). Being a Seagate, it should be under a 5 year warranty, so you can get it replaced.

Since your PC can’t properly communicate with the HDD, there isn’t much hope of saving any of the data. With that being said, I’ve had issues in the past where the OS had communication issues with an IDE HDD and moving the HDD to an external USB connection device resolved the communication issue long enough to save some of the data. I used this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102