Hard Drive Health

vbimport

I’ve tried 3 different apps to check the health of 2 drives, and they all disagree. Drive 0 is an 80Gb Maxtor, Drive 1 is a 160Gb Seagate… So…
“HDD Health” says 100% for the Maxtor, 57% for the Seagate.
“HD Sentinel” says 26% for the Maxtor, 92% for the Seagate
“HD Tune” says OK for both and scans both with no errors.
I’ve also run chkdsk in various ways with nothing showing up.

So. Can anybody enlighten me as to what exactly is going on here? Should I be concerned that HD Sentinel gives my Maxtor just another 99 days to live? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Google is unusually sparse on this topic.

Welcome to the forum.
These applications read the drives S.M.A.R.T. data, and some of these applications don’t always interpret the raw data from S.M.A.R.T. correctly, this is why you get conflicting values from different applications.

I use Crystal Disk Info, which is a free application, and i personally find it is pretty reliable at interpreting S.M.A.R.T. values.

You can grab Crystal Disk Info here.

Thanks Dee… downloaded and ran Crystal Disk, it’s verdict is “Caution” for both drives which I see is due to a number of reallocated sectors on both drives… I understand that I can possibly fix this with a low level format…

[QUOTE=sicknero;2545319]I understand that I can possibly fix this with a low level format…[/QUOTE] No you can’t. Relocated sectors is a warning that the drive has had problems in the past, and no amount of formatting will change that fact - at best it will discover more bad sectors and mark them bad before they are used.

In my opinion, any drive that is failing S.M.A.R.T. should be considered about to fail, and you should immediately backup everything you need to other storage (harddrives or other). Then as soon as you can afford it, you should replace the failing drive.

Aha thanks for that DrageMaster… the Maxtor with 63 reallocated sectors, I’m just using for my OS and installs so no worries there. The other I use for pagefile.sys, My Docs, Portable apps etc which are all backed up to external drives… but I’m also wondering now, how accurate are HD Sentinel, Crystal Disk et al when it comes to reporting the health of USB Drives? (Points to HD Sentinel btw for letting me know that I’m losing performance through using an old IDE cable… although how true that is I’ll discover later…)
Anyhow, just wanted to say this is my first time posting on a forum… i did it because I couldn’t find any pre-existing threads anywhere on the subject… so thanks to you both for your time and input.

p.s… cute Tolkein mis-quote :slight_smile:

I agree 100% with DrageMester once you get bad sectors on a hdd no amount of
formatting is going to recover them. They were marked as reallocated sectors for
a reason because that part of the drive has gone bad period…no fixie uppie. :sad:

[QUOTE=sicknero;2545392]Anyhow, just wanted to say this is my first time posting on a forum… i did it because I couldn’t find any pre-existing threads anywhere on the subject… so thanks to you both for your time and input.[/QUOTE]In that case, welcome to the MyCE forums! :flower:

p.s… cute Tolkein mis-quote :slight_smile:
No, no, it was Tolkien who got it slightly wrong! :bigsmile:

Lolol re Tolkein :slight_smile: And thanks for the welcome. So anyway, next question - IDE ribbon cables, are they identical for cd-dvd drives and hard drives? Can the one be used for the other? Even the ones that say “Master CD” and “Slave CD” on them in large letters? (Hmmm maybe that should be a different thread now)

[QUOTE=sicknero;2545412]IDE ribbon cables, are they identical for cd-dvd drives and hard drives? Can the one be used for the other?[/QUOTE] Yes, the same IDE cables can be used for harddrives and optical drives.

There are however two kinds, the old 40-wire cables, and the newer 80-wire cables. The newer cables can be used with all IDE/PATA harddrives and IDE/PATA optical drives, but the older 40-wire cables may slow down newer drives or sometimes even make newer drives fail to operate properly.

Thanks that what I thought, plus I read on forums that you can run HDD’s and CD-DVD’s on the same cable. Didn’t know that before… Anyway my problem now is… I used a newer IDE ribbon to connect my HDD’s, switched on and the drives don’t spin. There’s power to the motherboard, but no boot screen and no sign of life from the HDD’s… So I replace the original ribbon and still no boot up :frowning: presently trying to locate my CMOS reset jumper, but any other suggestions v welcome. sighs and thinks “when will I learn not to try fixing things that ain’t broke”…