Hard drive has vanished files

vbimport

I have an external 60gig usb hard drive
On My Computer it shows that the hard drive has 55gigs used up
When I open up the hard drive, and highlight everything and click properties it shows there are only 47gigs used up. The hard drive is offset by 8 gigs. An easy fix would be to reformatt it and start over however, the 8 gigs of space is of value to me. The folder that contained the 8 gigs is what has vanished off the computer. the folder that containted this folder doesn’t show that it is offset by the 8 gigs. It’s like the folder doesn’t even exist. Only proof that I know it is there is by the properties in My Computer. I read somewhere that drives tend to act funny when they are completely full, guess this kinda proves that statement is true. I ran 2 data recovery programs that detect the missing information on the drive, as well as over 100gigs of past deleted information.

I guess my question would be if any of you have used any data recovery programs in the past to recovery information similiar to this problem. And if so any recommendations on what to use. I am kind of cash limited so I was hoping one of you can point me in the right direction to a free program or another solution that can fix this.

Empty the trash bin?

it acts the same way for any computer it is plugged into. The problem first happened when my friend had the hd (hard drive). I didn’t know about it until I got it back a couple weeks later when he told me about it.

[QUOTE=Altimadator;2076895]I have an external 60gig usb hard drive
On My Computer it shows that the hard drive has 55gigs used up
When I open up the hard drive, and highlight everything and click properties it shows there are only 47gigs used up. The hard drive is offset by 8 gigs.[/QUOTE]

If you are just talking about a lost folder, just run the disk checking tool to reclaim the space. If you want to recover the contents of the folder, you’ll need special software.

But what operating system/disk format are you asking about?

Windows, by default, reserves 10% of a hard drive for recycle bin. You’re sure that’s not what you are seeing? Check Properties of Recycle bin for this.

try running this free utility.

http://www.recuva.com/

fingers crossed.

Your problem could be this:

when you plug external things into a computer (or insert a CD) it automatically formats the drive/disk so the computer can write files to it, that maybe your problem. personally i wouldnt say it was.

try manually formatting the external hard drive and reloading everything onto it. that may help. if it dosent do what other people are saying and run disk checks, if the check finds nothing, de fragment it and run a disk cleanup onto it.

if your problem is still there, try using software that recovers lost files/folder like myars suggested…

hope i helped…

credits to myars {40%} and athulin {50%}...(i just pieced the ideas together) me {10%}