Hard drive free space?

If a hard drive (internal) is only going to be used to store music files and play them, how much free space is recommended?

Sorry, this cannot be answered without more info.

[QUOTE=chef;1980441]Sorry, this cannot be answered without more info.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to buy a drive that’s rated 250GB. It’s going to contain music files only.

What’s the final amount that the drive should be filled up to in GB, to have enough space for efficient operation?

“efficient operation” for what exactly?
When defragmented, you can fill it up to 100%.

[QUOTE=Goit;1980460]I’m going to buy a drive that’s rated 250GB. It’s going to contain music files only.

What’s the final amount that the drive should be filled up to in GB, to have enough space for efficient operation?[/QUOTE]

General rule is you can go to 90%, but the fuller it gets the more the performance suffers. Defragmenting needs 10-15% depending on the tools used and size of stored files. For simply storage, performance is not much of a concern, so 90% should be a reasonable figure.

240 gigs of music is a pretty insane amount…

for music i would say 250GB is way more than enough unless you have practically everything out there lol

cause even if you use the EAC + LAME (which has high quality at a reasonable file size (generally 192kbps average bit rate) to rip your cd’s to hard drive your going to have to have crapload of cd’s to fill that thing if it’s 250GB.

[QUOTE=wazzy;1980745]240 gigs of music is a pretty insane amount…[/QUOTE]

I must be doubly so then… :wink:

[QUOTE=wazzy;1980745]240 gigs of music is a pretty insane amount…[/QUOTE]

I use FLAC, not MP3, so the files are bigger.

but it doesn’t matter now, I got a 500GB, so that’s enough for anything in years.

Just grab one of those 1 TB Western Digital externals and you’ll be set for a long, long time. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;1981387]Just grab one of those [B]1 TB[/B] Western Digital [B]externals[/B] and you’ll be set for a long, long time. :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds expensive. I got the 500GB and is formatted at 465GB. That’s enough for years.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/internet-help-236932/

Now my ethernet connection stopped working because I installed this drive. Might have suffered physical damage because trying to squeeze the soundcard and video card and all the cables went a bit rough. And might have “shocked” the motherboard.

Can anyone confirm this for me in that thread so I can go out and get a pci or usb adapter?

What’s the advantage of a USB adapter?

Thanks.

Maybe too late to mention this but getting a 500GB or 1TB hard drive means you may have to have another to make nice, safe, regular back-ups…as you should if you don´t want to lose 1000 or so albums one day when it crashes (´cos it probably will)
:doh:

[QUOTE=deanimator;1982010]one day when it crashes (´cos it probably will)
:doh:[/QUOTE]

[U][B]Oh yes that is very true [/B][/U]I just went through the same thing with a 500GB hdd hooked up on a USB
external enclosure.:sad: I had 2 partitions on it and one day I turned it on to add some data to it
and the partition I was going to use when I went to add the data all I got was a orange lite on the
enclosure and it just froze and I had to power it off. Then when I powered it back up it just said
the partition wasn’t formated but the other partition was still working normally so I thought I’d just do
a reformat in a day or so when I had the time but after two more days I went to start it up and do
the reformat and the drive just spun up and down several times and that was it the drive just upped
and completely died and I lost everything on it. :doh: I thought maybe I’d get lucky and find out it was
just the enclosure that had died but nope it wasn’t I stuck another 500GB hdd in it and sure enough
it powered right up with no problem so the other drive was definitely dead. :a

[QUOTE=deanimator;1982010]Maybe too late to mention this but getting a 500GB or 1TB hard drive means you may have to have another to make nice, safe, regular back-ups…as you should if you don´t want to lose 1000 or so albums one day when it crashes (´cos it probably will)
:doh:[/QUOTE]

I have never had a drive crash in my approx 12 years of computer usage. So it’s pretty rare.

Plus I have the files backed up onto DVDs, two verbatim DVD+Rs made in Taiwan. So I do have backup. This is for downloaded stuff. The ripped stuff can be re-ripped from the original CDs.

[QUOTE=Goit;1982843]I have never had a drive crash in my approx 12 years of computer usage. So it’s pretty rare.

Plus I have the files backed up onto DVDs, two verbatim DVD+Rs made in Taiwan. So I do have backup. This is for downloaded stuff. The ripped stuff can be re-ripped from the original CDs.[/QUOTE]

You can never have too many backup copies of your stuff . . . which reminds me, I’ve got some new music to backup. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;1983584]You can never have too many backup copies of your stuff . . . which reminds me, I’ve got some new music to backup. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

No offense but is that kind of paranoid? Unless you downloaded your music so you have no media backup?

If you guys don’t think that’s necessary for everyone please don’t scare me about that. It makes me confused and start worrying about my files.

I never had a hard drive crash since my Pentium 1, a no name brand. That’s a total of 6 hard drives. The 1.3gb P1 drive is abandoned, but it worked until I stopped using it.

But I have a 20GB drive on the PIII, from a generic manufacture. Still working.

So I think WD and Seagate drives should be pretty reliable.

ALWAYS Backup your Music to DVD-Rs as Well…It don’t cost much n if that HDD gos down, you’ll still have your music.