Hard Drive failure?

Hi Guys,

I’m frantically trying to sort this out…

I built a HTPC 3 months ago an have been happily ripping my DVD collection to the TB’s of drive I have had…

Anyway, up until yesterday, everything was fine. Running XP Pro with 6 x 1TB Western Digital Caiar Green Drives…

But I needed some more space, so I order another drive… I installed the new drive… and two things happened…

1. My new drive was not recognised - not even in the Bios.
  2. Two of my existing drives ‘failed’. At first it appeared to only be one - at which point I shut down and checked to make sure I hadn’t dislodgded cables, etc, but when I booted up - a seconf drive ‘failed’.

So, in Disk Management I have 4 “healthy” drives, and what appears to be the same 2 drives referenced twice - in pairs of “unreadable” and “failed”…

!@*#(@! …

I’m currently running the WD Diag tool on one of the drives - the basic text passed - am running the extended test.
On the other drive I’m running some recovery software (scan only) to see what it finds…

I was just packing up the new drive for an RMA… when I got a call from a friend who mentioned my plight to a “Nerds” guy… and he told her the problem was almost certainly that there is a 6TB limit in 32-bit OS… …

I must confess to not knowing this - if it is indeed true… but I guess my questions are…

1. Is there a limit?

2. Is it possible that by adding the 7th TB, that windows just went “whoaaa” … and jigged two of the other drives as a result?

3. If 1 and 2 are true… can I recover from this?.. I checked the event log and the hard-disk write errors that occurred on the drives appear to be referencing a block which is outside of the last block for these drives… ??

4. If the diagnostics run to completion with a healthy status, how do I now “convince/fool” Windows that the logical drives are intact??

Of course, if the 6TB is a limit I have a bigger problem in that I need to figure out how to go to the next level… but I’ll leave that question for a time when I’m less frantic…

Any help you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Graham

I don’t know if this will help you out with your problem but you might want to check it out anyway
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/8c5a2182-70b4-4ddd-9d3f-91f58769dc4d