Hard Drive Failed SMART (Raw Error Read Rate)

Hello,

I have a 1.5 year old Western Digital HDD which was returning me all sorts of CRC errors. When I used the WD diagnostic utility it told me the drive failed under the attribute “Raw Read Error Rate.” I’ve tried putting it into a different external enclosure and also tried putting it directly onto the IDE cable with no change. I’d zerofill the drive, but I’m still trying to recover all the data I can. Any ideas on what I should try?

Also, I believe WD has a 3-5 year warranty, but I do not have a receipt for this drive anymore, is it still possible to get a replacement?

First: Backup everything ASAP
2nd: I think WD can get the production date out of the serial no. Even if you do not have the receipt anymore, you can give it a try.
However, in that case the warranty time will count from the production date on. Not from the date of purchase.

Being a 250GB drive, I’d expect it’s still under warranty, since it’s less than 3 years old.

Go here.

You can RMA the drive (at your expense for P&H) and they will send you a refurbished drive.

Thanks, my drive is covered until 2008, so I suppose I’ll send it off when I’m done backing up all the data that is still intact.