Hard drive and/or dvd problem? computer slow

I have an acer laptop (3610) and several weeks ago it started acting slow and music would skip at times and when I’d plug/unplug in a usb the normal windows noise would stutter. Things in general have been slow.

Thought maybe the HD was going bad so I wanted to use memtest86 to test it. First I had to make a bootable CD with the memtest iso file. This is when I discovered my CD drive did not work. Can’t find it under device manager and it does not have a “+” next to it in bios. I removed the drive from the computer, restarted but it was still slow.

So my thought is that maybe the controller that interfaces the HD and CD might be bad. Any ideas?

I will see if I can boot from an external (usb) CD in attempts of running memtest.

Why are you using memtest to test a HDD?

You should use HDTune or HDTach to test performance, the latter only if you have XP.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2120250]Why are you using memtest to test a HDD?

You should use HDTune or HDTach to test performance, the latter only if you have XP.[/QUOTE]

A friend told me to use memtest. I will see if I can use HDTach. Thanks.

Have you tried a defrag? How full is the drive? There are several things that affect performance…it doesn’t mean the drive is dying. What type of drive is it? Capacity?

You could also have a virus or spyware running amuck causing the slowdowns. Try running an antivirus or anti-spyware program in safe mode, this will allow any possible malware to not start up with windows and be (hopefully) completely removed.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2120288]Have you tried a defrag? How full is the drive? There are several things that affect performance…it doesn’t mean the drive is dying. What type of drive is it? Capacity?

You could also have a virus or spyware running amuck causing the slowdowns. Try running an antivirus or anti-spyware program in safe mode, this will allow any possible malware to not start up with windows and be (hopefully) completely removed.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I defragged. Drive is about half full. It is an 80 gig drive and not sure of the brand but I think I remember seeing WD somewhere (western digital I’m guessing).

MY virus software (McAfee) is up to date and I have the latest windows updates.

I know the cd and hard drive have the same controller and the cd no longer works. I will dry the AV software in safe mode and see what happens.

Thanks

Got it fixed. The transfer mode in the controllers was set to PIO as opposed to DMA 5. I uninstalled the controllers, rebooted a few times, and all is good now. The CD drive still does not work but I guess it died and caused a hiccup. Time will tell. Thanks for your help.