Hard drive 5400 vs 7200

Just got a new Dell laptop studio xps 16. Was supposed to have 500G 7200 RPM drive and came with the 5400. I am being told the 5400 won’t make the laptop run really hot and that I won’t notice any difference in speed in applications. Also the 5400 will boot up faster.
I am thinking of sending it back if they will agree and getting the correct configuration. But many are telling me keep the 5400.

What say you guys?

IMO, it will be a bit faster with the 7200.
But it will run a little warmer and battery life will be reduced.

I’m into battery time so I would be happy with the 5400, especially if I could finagle a reimbursement for the diff. between the 5400 v. the 72000.
Shipping and handling factored in also.

[QUOTE=jflan;2309144]IMO, it will be a bit faster with the 7200.
But it will run a little warmer and battery life will be reduced.

I’m into battery time so I would be happy with the 5400, especially if I could finagle a reimbursement for the diff. between the 5400 v. the 72000.
Shipping and handling factored in also.[/QUOTE]

Do you think I would notice the difference in speed? It was on sale at Dell so shipping and handling was free.

Dell sure has changed. They have instituted a new rule now, 15% restocking fee and 21 days return vs the old 30. Used to be no restocking.

So far I have not even set up the laptop. Have it charging the battery which takes 12 hours.

Hi,[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2309139]Just got a new Dell laptop studio xps 16. Was supposed to have 500G 7200 RPM drive and came with the 5400.[/quote]Have you paid an extra price for the 7200/min drive?
You may check Dell’s web configurator if there is a price difference between the 500GB@5400/min and the 500GB@7200/min for that laptop.

I am thinking of sending it back if they will agree and getting the correct configuration. But many are telling me keep the 5400.

What say you guys?
I would keep the 5400/min HDD and request a refund of the [I]price difference[/I] from Dell.

Michael

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2309146]Do you think I would notice the difference in speed? It was on sale at Dell so shipping and handling was free.

Dell sure has changed. They have instituted a new rule now, 15% restocking fee and 21 days return vs the old 30. Used to be no restocking.

So far I have not even set up the laptop. Have it charging the battery which takes 12 hours.[/QUOTE]
I don’t think that the speed difference would be extreme enough to be a deal breaker.
I mentioned S&H because if Dell made a mistake they need to cover S&H to fix it…if you think it needs to be fixed. So, there is value there if you negotiate to keep the 5400.

I forgot:[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2309146]
[/QUOTE]the restocking fee should not be applicable if Dell did not deliver what you ordered (and paid).

Michael

Unless you paid for it I would rather keep the 5400 RPM drive, it’s a bit slower (you’ll most likely not notice it) but you’ll get a cooler computer and better battery life.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2309316]Unless you paid for it I would rather keep the 5400 RPM drive, it’s a bit slower (you’ll most likely not notice it) but you’ll get a cooler computer and better battery life.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Thank you all. The general ideas from you all is that I will not notice the difference between the speed in the two hard drives even though I use AVS video converter to convert movies and join movies.

I just might keep the 5400. Will talk with the sales person and see what they will be willing to do for their mistake.

Ask for a free upgrade to Win7? :slight_smile:
//Danne

I called Dell and since it was their mistake they are taking back the computer with no shipping fee and no restocking fee. They are giving the windows 7 upgrade cd with all their computers now. I had to place a new order for another computer with the same configuration other then the hd. I was very pleased with the service.

And besides it was almost $100 cheaper then what I originally paid.

Nice solution :slight_smile:
Honestly, I didn’t expect anything else :wink:

Michael

Well done, MeggieJJ :cool: