Hard Disk SMART data is ineffective at predicting failure

vbimport

I just posted the article Hard Disk SMART data is ineffective at predicting failure.

As manufacturers continue to release larger hard disk year after year, regardless of what hard drive one gets, the last thing anyone wants to see is a failing hard disk, particularly if it contains a…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13049-Hard-Disk-SMART-data-is-ineffective-at-predicting-failure.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13049-Hard-Disk-SMART-data-is-ineffective-at-predicting-failure.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So what Google is saying is that S.M.A.R.T. stands for Stupid Moronic Anal Retentive Technology? :B

Hard Drives are now at ridiculous sizes. It takes forever to format them, and who needs such big space unless your pirating movies. They need to do away with current HD technology, as it’s now the slowest part of the computer.

Hound - So you’re saying Google pirates movies? I’d hate to be editing my camcorder video with only a 40gb drive. :slight_smile:

Nothing really new. A lot of users already know this since their SMART HD failed and only AFTER THE FAILURE the SMART started saying “it seems your HD has a problem…”. It’s a shame that usually is just too late… :r

The last harddrive that failed for me didn’t have any SMART warnings until after a partial failure, but it gave me approx. one hour to rescue the newest versions of some files that hadn’t been backed up for a week, and then it failed more or less completely. @Shadowman69: Apparently the SMART technology would be more appropriately named SMART-ass technology, since it waits until the hard drive has failed before telling you. :stuck_out_tongue:

You guys should talk to Steve Gibson! Hard drives will show SMART failures usually only after all the reserved sectors are used up. By that time, though, yes, everything is FUBAR. :r

BTW: I wrote to Steve to ask him about his opinion on the article and on SMART Status in general…just waiting for a reply.

Such a shame that they did not name names.

SMART didn’t warn me one bit. One day I turned on my computer and click…click…click…

You don’t need to worry about “click…click…click…”, they are just limping bits.