Hard Disk Sentinel - privacy

vbimport

Why does Hard Disk Sentinel send information about your drive to http://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo

How can this be disabled?

[QUOTE=DiskProtector;2755315]Why does Hard Disk Sentinel send information about your drive to http://www.hdsentinel.com/storageinfo

How can this be disabled?[/QUOTE] They do it to make the program better, and yes, the information only pertains to your HD. And yes you can disable it.

Does it send the attached too? Is any personal data sent?
Can i have an external disk connected that is not monitored? It is deselected under hard disk drives but still alerts

Yes, but if you want to stay anonymous, you can just uncheck it, although I have no idea why you would want the program to get better and maybe add the drive or SSD you have to their database. No names or information, but if you bought it there is no reason to hide the information they seek.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2755348]Yes, but if you want to stay anonymous, you can just uncheck it, although I have no idea why you would want the program to get better and maybe add the drive or SSD you have to their database. No names or information, but if you bought it there is no reason to hide the information they seek.[/QUOTE]
until their site gets compromised as this one has

[QUOTE=DiskProtector;2776620]until their site gets compromised as this one has[/QUOTE]

They do not have a forum. And even if they did, what would anyone gain from that information? :confused: You might as well stay off the internet if you are that afraid of someone gaining data to make their program better for you.

While I agree with Alan as there is absolutely nothing to gain from hacking the information, if you really want to stop it from phoning home, you can do so by creating a firewall rule to deny the application internet access.
For the Windows firewall, look here. :slight_smile:

1. The email option mentioned above is to send the [B]user[/B] information about a potential drive failure on their own system. Here’s the info from its help screen:

Send e-mail: in case of a problem, Hard Disk Sentinel will send an e-mail with the problem description. The e-mail will be delivered as configured on the e-mail configuration page.
As far as I know, HD Sentinel doesn’t send any information about your system to an outside location, except in the following cases:

[ol]
[li]A program update check (which can be disabled)[/li][li]A Test Report used for troubleshooting (which must be explicitly sent to the developer, by the click of a button labeled “Send To Developer”)[/li][li]The email to the user mentioned above[/li][/ol]
But (as mentioned in a previous post) if you’re really concerned, and don’t need/want to take advantage of above exceptions, you can block all outgoing data by configuring your firewall to block the program.

1. HD Sentinel [B]does[/B] have a forum (I found out about [U]this[/U] forum when I visited theirs). Their forum URL is: http://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/index.php