Happy St. Patrick's Day!

vbimport

Happy St. Patrick’s Day folks to everyone that’s Irish, has Irish in them, or even just likes to feel a bit Irish once a year!! :bigsmile:

Wombler

I’m not irish but I’m green does that count

I know a leprechaun is an Irish symbol .
I believe the leprechaun source is pagan so not the best symbol for a Catholic ( Christian) holiday .
So I’m using an image that is a likeness of Saint Patrick.
Seems more suitable to me.

A few floats in the nearby town Killybegs. There’s a working steam engine at 2:06:

//youtu.be/yhdyj2Jf1jM

I had my pint of Guinness. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2750207]
I had my pint of Guinness. :)[/QUOTE]

National duty Seán. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Seán;2750207]I had my pint of Guinness. :)[/QUOTE]
Hope it wasn’t dyed [B]green[/B] (such a waste). :Z:Z

The very thought gives me the urge to [I][B]expectorate with extreme prejudice[/B][/I]. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Another St. Patrick’s day tradition? Or is that also only in America?)

As far as I’m aware of, no pub here puts green dye in Guinness (not sure about other drinks) and I don’t think they would be allowed to either with how strict Guinness is on quality control. I see the Guinness quality control van quite often while driving to work, sometimes spotting it 2 or 3 times in the same week.

Apart from the parade itself, I don’t think there’s much else they colour green for the day and just a small number of people (maybe 1 in 10) wear green. Only about half floats in the video above had people wearing green also. In the larger town Donegal, I do know they put in green light bulbs in the street lights for the last few days. I assume they’ll swap back the original bulbs pretty soon.

I saw some photos today of Chicago where they dye the river green. :slight_smile:

Here’s an example.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2750223]I saw some photos today of Chicago where they dye the river green. :slight_smile:

[/QUOTE]
Isn’t that the river that was once so polluted it caught fire? :eek:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750224]Isn’t that the river that was once so polluted it caught fire? :eek:[/QUOTE]
I don’t think so. The Cuyahoga River caught fire by Cleveland in 1969.

I heard today the original color associated with St. Patrick was blue.

Seems like nature did its bit. Took a few long exposure attempts to capture it:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2750227]I don’t think so. The Cuyahoga River caught fire by Cleveland in 1969.[/QUOTE]
That’ll be the one I was thinking of. :doh:Thanks.

[QUOTE=Seán;2750230]Seems like nature did its bit. Took a few long exposure attempts to capture it:

[/QUOTE]
Stunning photos Seán. :clap::clap:

We have pretty bad light pollution round here (despite it being a rural area).

[QUOTE=cholla;2750229]I heard today the original color associated with St. Patrick was blue.[/QUOTE]
Very interesting.

This is what Wikipedia says:

“The colour green has been associated with Ireland since at least the 1640s, when the green harp flag was used by the Irish Catholic Confederation. Green ribbons and shamrocks have been worn on St Patrick’s Day since at least the 1680s.”

“However, when the Order of St. Patrick—an Anglo-Irish chivalric order—was founded in 1783 it adopted blue as its colour, which led to blue being associated with St Patrick. During the 1790s, green would become associated with Irish nationalism, due to its use by the United Irishmen.”

[QUOTE=Seán;2750230]Seems like nature did its bit. Took a few long exposure attempts to capture it:

[/QUOTE]

Those are awesome Seán, I’m well impressed. :clap:

Your next challenge is the solar eclipse tomorrow! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Nice photos Seán .
You have to get a good bit out of the city I live in to see that many stars.

The last time I saw the aurora was around 10 years ago. It was a mixture of red and green and covered pretty much the entire sky. I never thought of photographing it at the time, but then again I had a 1.3 Megapixel camera at the time which I’m fairly sure could not take long exposures. It didn’t even have optical zoom.

The following are another two I took on St. Patrick’s day. The camera moved in the blue photo, which has obvious motion blur. The red one came out bright (I darkened the picture.)

They appeared just briefly on the 18th. Perhaps a UFO landing? :smiley:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2750317]Your next challenge is the solar eclipse tomorrow! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

It was fairly clouded over this morning. :doh:

That was the best I got as the cloud kept varying in thickness over the sun.

^More excellent photos. :clap::clap:

Even the eclipse one is good. The positioning of the sun, cloud & vegetation captures the event very well and I think makes a nice photo. :clap: