I have an LDW-411s that would very effectively produce a lot of coasters. Kprobe scans would show errors in the 1200 range on PO errors and I don't remember how high the PI errors were. This would be on any media I used, Ricoh, Memorex, Sony, etc and in any flavor + or -. I would get bettter results occasionally, even error rates down into the high 400's. Result would still be a dvd that would freeze up before the end of the movie.
I decided to try the 411@811 mod and no change in the results. Tried burning @ different burn rates, I.E. lower burn rates and no effect.
After reading through a lot of posts on this forum I saw that a lot of folks were using Nero 6.3. I was using Nero 5.5.10. I thought to myself that the version of Nero I was using couldn't possibly make a difference. After all, my version of Nero was supposed to be capable of making a dvd and it recognized my Lite-on even after the 411@811 mod. What could be the problem here.
Now this is not an endorsement for any software package nor a condemnation of any software package, but I was not going to pay Ahead software for another software package to do the same job the software package from them was supposed to be doing already. My solution was to find a freeware package which I did. I am now burning dvd's with the freebie software and seeing kprobe scans well below 200 and some below 100. While not as good of a scan as I see from other folks, I am now no less the same much happier with my lite-on purchase and able to watch a movie all the way through without it freezing up or seeing the tell-tale pixalation of a badly burnt disc.
It was a revelation to me that the software used to burn the disc with could make that much difference.