Happy Benq 1655 owner here

Am I crazy or is this drive the best ever for $50? Only thing that’s needed is a firmware update for Verbatim dvd+r dl. I just wanted to thank everyone in these forums for helping me get the most out of my drive. I would have never thought burning Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd+r discs @12x speed with OS and SB on would yield such great results. I’ve burned several dvd’s with every possible combination of settings @8x speed and they usually didn’t produce quality scores of 98-99. For some crazy reason overspeed burning with SB on gives a little better quality on my drive. Thanks guys. :bigsmile:

Hi :slight_smile:
maxxjulie, congrats on your discovery. 1655 is a great drive with a lot of potential. It does seem to do better at 16x than its predecessors. Both MCC 004 & MCC 03RG20 show improvements at max speed, with reduced improvements when written at 12x. Can’t wait to see what f/w developements produce.

Yo-

Totally agree with zebadee-

Great new drive with excellent potential-

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new drive-

Mike

Yeap I’m in love with my 1655 also. I’ve spent the last 2 days remaking my backups with the new drive and better quality media since my old drive gave me very low quality ratings.

Happy to here that.
I almost orderded one from Newegg, but cancelled on the payment page.

I’ve been tempted to take he plunge myself but fear that there won’t be adequate firmware support like BenQ did with the 1625. The 1620 got all the updates on a frequent basis.
I’m trying to hold out for the 1650 but it may be quite a wait here in the USA.

I’m pondering the reasons why BenQ is pushing this lightscribe 1655 over the 1650.
Just don’t want to be left holding the firmware bag like they did to the 1625 owners.

I’m so confused.
Guess I’ll wait a little longer.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yours.