Hallo! Firmware for 2510?

vbimport

Hey, Guys!!

First I have to say this is my first post ever, so be patient with me :wink:
I’ve been reading through your forum for a long time now, but since I hadn’t been connected to the web, I decided not to post until I can be online more often than once a week. And now I’m online at home.

I’d like to add that I really appreciate the work of all of you. It’s a very informative and interesting place you set up here!!
Also, the people are all nice (which isn’t the same in other forums…especially to newbies) and really trying to help.

Also a big Thanks to Herrie, you did a great job…. I love your work!!

So, after all: (My first) question:

I am recording my media (mostly VERBATIM and RICOH) with my good-old Nec 2510 (the real one, not the patched 2500).
I have been using the 2.16 fw from Herrie a long time now and was quite happy with it. After a few months being offline, I discovered that many new firmware versions have been released. After searching through the posts I found those: (from the list of ScorpioSoft)

NEC ND-2510A 2.17 RPC1 and Rip Speed Firmware (TDB)
NEC ND-2510A 2.F8 (from Mad Dog 2.F8), Ritek DL support, SL & DL bitsetting but no RPC1
NEC ND-2510A 2.F8 (from Mad Dog 2.F8), Ritek DL support, SL & DL bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1
NEC ND-2510A 2.F8 Quikee2 Beta3 (from Mad Dog 2.F8), Ritek DL support, SL & DL bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC´
NEC ND-2510A 1.33 RPC1 and Rip Speed Firmware (from HP Writer 420n)
NEC ND-25x0A 2.18 v3 Final Test 2 (Herrie)

What version would you recommend concerning the writing quality, especially with the above mentioned media?

Bitsetting would be nice, RPC-1 and removed riplock are not necessary, since I have an AOPEN 1648 for ripping (damn fast…)

Greetings!

Tried them all.The best for me so far concerning write quality is the NEC ND-2510A 2.F8 (from Mad Dog 2.F8), Ritek DL support, SL & DL bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1.
Currently using Herrie’s new firmware with some outstanding results.
Just need to try a few more makes of disc,but at the moment looking really good.
Hope this helps.

Thank you!
Yes, helped me a lot! :bow:

I’m wondering, if there’s any difference in the writing strategies between the Nec and the MadDog firmware…do you know?

Who modified the MadDog firmware (RPC-1, riplock) ?

Best regards, pianoman

I think there must be a different write strategy because of the better burns on the same make of disc between the different firmwares.
The madog firmware I used was modified by the Dangerous Brothers.

RPC1 and Riplock are a standard patch (just search and replace a certain string;)). See http://www.micheldeboer/firmware for an overview of the different strategy versions in each firmware :slight_smile: P.s. TDB never modifies media support, they only remove the riplock and RPC1. Only Quikee, Dee, Liggy and myself modify the media support :slight_smile:

I personally stick with the official Maddog FW, with nothing changed to region code protection or riplock as I don’t use it to rip, that is what my Liteon 5232K is for.

@bamo:

On the list of ScorpioSoft there seems to be no difference between the f/w of Nec 2.17 and the MadDog 2F8…
Anything I overlooked?

@Herrie:
Hi! Once again thanks for your efforts…and those of Quikee, Dee and Liggy too!

I don’t think 2.17 has single layer bitsetting support not sure about write strategies.

Bamo, please try first on the bitsetting support!

So, does anybody know if the writing strategies in MadDog 2.F8 amd stock Nec 2.17 are the same? :confused:

I’m thinking of flashing my 2510 with the " NEC ND-2510A 2.F8 (from Mad Dog 2.F8), Ritek DL support, SL & DL bitsetting, Riplock removed and RPC1", but I want to know if the writing quality is the same.

For me, the quality is more important than the speed…