Half The Burn Speeds

vbimport

I’ve heard half the speed for better results. But half the speed of media or drive? I burn at half of both or lower just to be sure. What ya think? :slight_smile:

Short answer: Half the speed of media or drive, whichever is lower

Longer answer:

It depends, but you’ll usually get optimal results by burning any modern single layer DVD+R/DVD-R media at 8x on a desktop drive or at 4-6x in a slimline/laptop drive.

CD-R media usually burns best at 24-32x in a desktop drive (or 16x for CD Digital Audio).

Rewritable media usually burns best at their rated speed.

Other than that it either gets complicated or I don’t have enough personal experience with the media to make a recommendation.

Thank you DrageMester…
Are CD-R and CD Digital Audio different types of media? I have two types of CD-R’s from Sony but one is labeled ‘CD-R Audio’ with a darker green almost blue dye max write speed of 16x and the other just labeled ‘CD-R’ with lighter greenish dye max write speed 48x.

// [I]I noticed I posted on a Sony/LiteOn specific board. Can a moderator move this to the ‘CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers’ forum? Thanks.[/I]

[QUOTE=310nd34d0;2688743]Are CD-R and CD Digital Audio different types of media?[/QUOTE] Yes and no… let me explain.

You can burn a CD-R in data format putting anything on it, and then you can read the content in a CD, DVD or Blu-ray drive. For this purpose burning at 24x or 32x in a desktop drive usually gives the optimal result.

You can also burn a CD-R in CD-DA (CD Digital Audio) format, which is the same format as music CDs and can be played in standalone CD players. For this purpose it is usually optimal to burn at 16x in desktop drives, which burns at a constant linear velocity (CLV) and produces the lowest possible jitter. Low jitter can be important in many standalone CD players, but usually isn’t that important for CD/DVD/BD drives in computers.

I have two types of CD-R’s from Sony but one is labeled ‘CD-R Audio’ with a darker green almost blue dye max write speed of 16x and the other just labeled ‘CD-R’ with lighter greenish dye max write speed 48x.
There are also some standalone CD audio recorders, which for licensing purposes require CD-R Audio media that is marked specially for use in these recorders to indicate that a copying fee has been paid on the media. Such media is not required when burning audio in a computer drive, but can be used in such drives.

[QUOTE=310nd34d0;2688743]
// [I]I noticed I posted on a Sony/LiteOn specific board. Can a moderator move this to the ‘CD, DVD and Blu-ray Writers’ forum? Thanks.[/I][/QUOTE]

nudged the thread up one level. :slight_smile: