Hair is pulled out. I NEED HELP

Maybe im a newbie to this and maybe im not. I have searched for this for a month or so now on various forums and I have had no luck. I shouldn’t say none but the little help I receive in troubleshooting my issue isn’t helping one bit.

I have burned about 40 dvd movies to DVD+R’s. I use DVD Decrypter to extract the disc to my drive, DVD2One to keep just the video and the 5:1 audio track and Nero to burn a dvd video disc of all the vobs and other files. I don’t know what other info to give because I don’t do anything special to burn these disc’s.

Ok, my problem. The movies play fine at first on my dvd player (Philips DVD 793C) but anywhere from mid movie towards the end, I get skipping, jumping, stuttering, whatever you want to call it and it last for a few seconds and the disc stops playing. Now, i’m convinced its not cheap media or even if it is, it doesn’t explain why it plays 100% flawlessly in my friends dvd player. I am using TDK 4x DVD+R’s for all my burns but have tried 2 other media types with the same result. I have burned well over 200 data discs with no issues at all on this media, it’s only movies. I guess the simple solution is to buy another dvd player for my tv (if my dvd player is known for this problem) but this one is pretty new. Can someone with experience please tell me if its just the dvd player itself being crap or is there anything I can do to play these movies with no skipping anymore.

Thank you so much for reading and I really hope someone has an answer for me :frowning:

Have you looked up your player on the list at dvdrhelp.com? I just did and the second comment may give you a clue. Your player may not like +R disks very well. If you have a dual format burner, you could try switching over to -R disks for recording movies.

I did 10 movies in dvd-r with same effect. I mentioned that my friends dvd player plays them perfect. I had him put the disc in and skip toward the end and watch it. Had no problems 5 times in a row. I started watching knockaround guys today and 1 hour into it, it started skipping and jumping all over until the disc finally stopped playing. 2 hours after that, i put the movie in and skipped to 1 hour in the movie. It skipped 2 times within seconds and then finished the entire movie without one skip except when the credits were rolling, skip city. I’ve read about some people’s theories being heat. Can’t be heat if I put it in after 2 hours of cooling down and it instantly starts skipping.

I will check out “dvdrhelp.com” and read more tho but am hoping someone here will have a solution. I’m going to ask if I can borrow friends dvd player for a week or so and test with it. watch like 8 movies back to back and see if that solves problem.

do the files work on your computer? before you burn them do they work all the way through without skipping? do other peoples burnt movies work on your player? if ur friends burns dont work either than it must be your player causing the problems.

Try lowering your recording speed to 2 or 1.

Or you could try a rewritable, some players play rewritables better than recordables.

I talked with my friend today that is very experienced with this situation and he suggested a few things to troubleshoot the issue more. Anyone here heard of any issues im having related to using dvd decrypter?

I have only played one of his movies on my player and it worked with no skipping. It would help to try 10 or so and watch them all the way thru then I can eliminate it being my player causing the issue. I just “bought” x-men 2 and im going to try smartripper vs. dvd decrypter. Also, i’ve heard a handful of people claiming as soon as they stopped writting on their discs, some of their problems went away. Can anyone with experience verify that it can cause a problem? I know with cheap cdr’s (the ones you can see thru when you hold it to a light, skip when you mark on them. Thanks guys

unlikely. writing on it wont harm it. with cdrs it could reck the recording layer because it was on top but since dvdr has the recording layer in the middle of the disc, it cant get damaged (i think).

oh and start using dvd+rw (they r better than -rw) so u dont waste any more discs and money. Im sure u will solve this soon. and keep trying burnt dvds from other people, if they work fine, ur dvd writer is the problem.

Originally posted by allcaps
[B]I talked with my friend today that is very experienced with this situation and he suggested a few things to troubleshoot the issue more. Anyone here heard of any issues im having related to using dvd decrypter?

I have only played one of his movies on my player and it worked with no skipping. It would help to try 10 or so and watch them all the way thru then I can eliminate it being my player causing the issue. I just “bought” x-men 2 and im going to try smartripper vs. dvd decrypter. Also, i’ve heard a handful of people claiming as soon as they stopped writting on their discs, some of their problems went away. Can anyone with experience verify that it can cause a problem? I know with cheap cdr’s (the ones you can see thru when you hold it to a light, skip when you mark on them. Thanks guys [/B]

I do not believe your player is very forgiving as far as playing any burned disks. That said I think your problem is not decrypting but in burning. I would look for G@mefre@ks guide to setting up a dvd compilation in Nero. and use the .nrc there.One thing I always do is to defrag my drive after decrypting or shrinking. Also I reboot and shut down unneeded processes before burning. Since doing this I have not made any (expensive)coasters;)

Well, good news but I don’t want to speak to soon. I changed my method in a few different ways and watched my burned x-men 2 3 times (boring but gotta do it somehow) and i had no skips.

I switched from dvddecrypter to smartripper. Takes a helluvalot longer to rip but it did the job. I then used dvd2one and changed audio from variable to constant. also changed the disc size from 4400mb to 4350 just in case the date is getting a little too close to the edge. Ive heard some people complaining the farther out you go, the more likely you will have a problem. And, 50mb wont make a bit of different in quality. I still used nero to burn but i changed burn speed from 4x to 2.4x. I dont have an option for 1x. Lastly, I didn’t write on disc. I know it sounds crazy but troubleshooting to the full extent would include that :(. Watched movie 3 times back to back and had zero skips. Id say my best option is to do a few more discs to find my method is pretty secure. Then, to pinpoint the problem, ill change these new methods with old ones and see what could cause the problem. I heard mixed results on people claiming the decrypting process wont cause the problem or it will. Just by feeling, im saying that was the problem. Ill switch back to decrypter and see.

Appreciate the feedback so much

Well, using same method 4 movies now watched 2-3 times each and problems have went away completely. Takes a little longer but im willing to sacrifice that for quality. I hope this thread reaches the handful of people havving problems and perhaps we can continue to troubleshoot this and hopefully it fixes everyone’s issues.