Had an SSD crash and burn today

I fired up my back-up computer, which was still running Windows 10, just to update it and was almost immediately hit with a blue screen. I fought with the darn thing most of the afternoon trying to diagnose the problem, but most of that was wasted effort. Changed the power supply, tested memory, removed everything connected by USB (because Windows gave me an error message about removable drives). Nothing worked, so I gave up and tried to reinstall the operating system. Nope, didn’t like that, and wouldn’t boot up. Linux… no, not going there either.

I pulled the SSD and started over. It’s working fine now, albeit a little slow running on a mechanical disk. I can deal with that in a back up system.

For anyone interested, it was a Crucial BX100, 250GB model. I built that computer in 2015, so it lasted six years of fairly light duty.

Did you have the SSD backed up with something like Macrium Reflect?

Computer components will fail at some point.
It isn’t a matter of IF. It’s a matter of when and how.

3 Likes

One of the things I tried was an Acronis image of the drive. That didn’t work. It seemed to install just fine, but I got nothing but a black screen. The SSD just wasn’t functional. Reinstalling Windows also seemed to work, but I got nothing but blue screens.

I’ve owned very few SSD’s, four in total, and had two fail. I’ve got some Hitachi and Samsung mechanical drives that are ancient and still fine. My batting average is much better with the older style platter drives, though I did have to pitch the last two IDE drives I had. I was tinkering with an old, old system and neither of the IDE drives worked, and one got incredibly hot! Had to give up on them, but both drives were from the 2002-2004 era.

I gave up on Acronis when UEFI and GPT partitions came about.
I found it was only successful on restoring an image if the target drive was identical to the source drive. It always seemed to get the drive structure wrong otherwise.

Macrium Reflect on the other hand doesn’t care as long as the target drive has enough space to hold the data in the image. And, the free edition has more than enough features for the normal user.

Like Dee, I gave up on Acronis recently after struggling with their tech support department to get the latest versions to work with my PC, which they could not. I switched to Macrium Reflect Workstation and it just works properly every time. I even bought an SSD that I use only to test backups to make sure that they restore.

Crucial on its website has some troubleshooting tips that you would not ordinarily think of, so you might want to check out their FAQ’s and help before trash canning the drive. It may be redeemable. Firmware, oddball power down power up games etc. If you have time it is worth the experiment.

Whatever you end up doing, get a copy of Macrium Reflect, backup, and if you can afford it, get a drive just to test the restore of the backup images you make. It will save your sanity one day.

Cheers.

I’ve used Macrium in the past and had no issues with it. Just not what I had used to back up this particular SSD.

On my Linux machine, I use Clonezilla. It is not refined and a little difficult to work through since I use it so rarely, but the last time I was forced to go to a backup in Linux, it worked just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the Crucial site. I don’t have much hope for the drive however.

Did you known that Macrium reflect can also be used to backup and restore Linux drives/partitions?
Either from Windows on a dual boot system, or from a rescue media created from within Windows, and then plugged into a Linux PC.

Had the OS SSD on my Plex pc fail just recently, the SSD simply did not exist to windows nor the recovery software. Luckily I use Paragon to back in up every Sunday night and I put in another and easily used the recovery image to clone it. All is well!

Here’s an update on my ruined SSD. I put it in my Windows 10 computer and wiped the existing partitions, built new ones and reformatted. The Crucial Diagnostics tool shows the drive to be in good health, though it does have some bad sectors.

Just for grins, I decided to install an operating system in it. I started with Windows 10, as I had been doing before. Four straight failures later, I tried Linux Mint and formatted to Ext4. Mint didn’t work either. On one of those attempts, the drive disappeared from the UEFI bios; the rest of the time, the computer could see the drive.

So, moral of the story, don’t trust the diagnostic tools entirely. This is a dead SSD. No, it’s not pining for the fjords in its homeland of China, it has gone on to meet its maker. It’s pulled down the curtain and is singing in the choir invisible. It is an ex-SSD.

1 Like

All the SSD health utilities only check the NAND.
They can’t check the health of other components.
Controller failures are common, DRAM failures happen. Capacitor and resistor failures can happen, and then there is the possibility of bad solder connections.

Then there is poorly written firmware which doesn’t track failing NAND cells properly.

1 Like

I had a flash drive develop bad sectors a couple of days after getting it and it simply refused to let me write anything to it. Didn’t think an SSD could cause that much grief for someone. How old was this SSD?

It’s six years old Chibisteven. Which isn’t an uncommon age for failures in all types of hard drives.

It is, however, the newest SSD I own. Which leads to fear and trepidation going forward.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they designed it to last as long as the typical hard drive does. Also sounds like the typical bathtub curve that you expect from electronics as well. I had hard drives fail quickly on me and others outlast the computer it was inside of. At least I know what to expect of SSDs in terms of lifespan as more and more users encounter end of life with them.

Well I’m back with more bad news. The SSD on my main system decided to kick the bucket today. It was another Crucial, this time an M500 that they sent me as a refurbished replacement for a previous SSD that died. I’ve forgotten the model of the first one… maybe an M4? In any case, I’m 3 for 3 with Crucial SSD’s.

When I inspected this one, it was hot to the touch. SSD’s aren’t supposed to get hot, not as a general rule. In any case, none of my computers can see it now, so it is toast.

I’m running from a backup image, so not too much delay. And I’ve ordered a cheap operating system SSD, and I get to reinstall next week. The new one is from Mushkin, which is a good company for memory, but a complete unknown for me in SSD’s. It’s a stop-gap, and less than $30 after I used a bit of credit I had built up at Amazon.

I didn’t know Mushkin were still making SSD’s.
Most of them seem to use a Silicon Motion controller which are decent, but DRAMless.

The only SSD that ever went sour on me was the OCZ Optane, other than that I have been very lucky and I mean through some very heavy useage.

After a bit more research, I cancelled the order for the Mushkin and ordered an SK Hynix S31 SSD. It has DRam and a five year warranty (and a higher price tag).

I hope that is all I’ll need to keep my old rig going for a while longer. After a close inspection and cleaning, I noticed one of my exhaust fans had died, so I had to replace it. That was the last of my good fans in my stock of parts too.

You can get a 1TB SK Hynix for 118.00USD, that’s not bad. It’s a good SSD, as far as SATA SSDs go.