Hacking together an external DVD+R DL burner

vbimport

Hi. I run a laptop ATM as my only computer. The drive on this one doesn’t support setting the bittype on DVD+R to DVD-ROM, and i need to set the bittype to DVD-ROM for a player i have.

Question. I have an “old” (guess it is by now) NEC ND-3540A that can burn DVD+R DL as DVD-ROM i think, and i found an old ATX PSU in the garage that will deliver a mighty 55 watts of raw power, 12A on the +5v and 6a on the +12v so i think it can handle burning.

Can i somehow hack this to work with a device like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250245186883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

?

I already bought it for a different reason, but it would rule if it would also work if i jumpered the PSU as a power supply for the NEC drive and burn DVD+R DL as DVD-ROMs (at low speeds i guess).

Thanks for any input

Hi and Welcome!

You were better off with an (old) AT PSU, since ATX PSUs need a mainboard to start. If I remember correctly, this can be overridden by shorting two pins at the ATX power connector.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2056300]Hi and Welcome!

You were better off with an (old) AT PSU, since ATX PSUs need a mainboard to start. If I remember correctly, this can be overridden by shorting two pins at the ATX power connector.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile: I already have gotten power to the drive by shorting green & ground on the ATX connector, so the power is okay :slight_smile:

I am just wondering if i can burn successfully with an adapter like that or will i get bad burns? I will be burning DVD+R DL at 6x i think.

[quote=jcberg;2056690]Hi :slight_smile: I already have gotten power to the drive by shorting green & ground on the ATX connector, so the power is okay :)[/quote]ok.

I am just wondering if i can burn successfully with an adapter like that or will i get bad burns? I will be burning DVD+R DL at 6x i think.
Just try it. Basically, these adapters are not different from external enclosures. Okay, this one is lacking the case and the power supply. I own some similar device, and it works acceptable.

The performance of an externally connected DVD writer is influenced by the USB controller of your computer, and by the cooperation of USB/IDE-adapter with the burner. So no one can tell you if your NEC will work with that adapter. You’ll have to try it out.

Concerning DL, most media isn’t that reliable, so you should stick with Verbatim, preferably the 2,4x “Made in Singapore”. These are the best supported DL discs.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2056693]ok.
Just try it. Basically, these adapters are not different from external enclosures. Okay, this one is lacking the case and the power supply. I own some similar device, and it works acceptable.

The performance of an externally connected DVD writer is influenced by the USB controller of your computer, and by the cooperation of USB/IDE-adapter with the burner. So no one can tell you if your NEC will work with that adapter. You’ll have to try it out.

Concerning DL, most media isn’t that reliable, so you should stick with Verbatim, preferably the 2,4x “Made in Singapore”. These are the best supported DL discs.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks. I bought the 6x Verbatim “Made in signapore” though, is there a difference over the 2.4x one?

I will try for myself then. Maybe run one of those scans too to see how well it does.

[QUOTE=jcberg;2056701]Okay thanks. I bought the 6x Verbatim “Made in signapore” though, is there a difference over the 2.4x one?

I will try for myself then. Maybe run one of those scans too to see how well it does.[/QUOTE]
No difference, they are the 2.4x ones. They just label them 6x so they sell better. They can be burned up to 8x on some burners without speed hacks.