Hackers succeed in ripping Blu-ray discs on a PS3

I just posted the article Hackers succeed in ripping Blu-ray discs on a PS3.

Not only have hackers found a way to install Fedora Linux on the PS3, including the ability to use its GUI, going by this story on gizmodo, they have succeeded in ripping a Blu-ray movie disc and PS3…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12721-Hackers-succeed-in-ripping-Blu-ray-discs-on-a-PS3.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12721-Hackers-succeed-in-ripping-Blu-ray-discs-on-a-PS3.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

huh!..so submitting works…guess I’ll keep that in mind… :B

Wake me up when some defeats AACS.

It starts in the video section. That makes me think that this is only a video of someone running Linux. I’m more suspicious than ever now. :frowning:

The PS3 was designed to allow Linux to be installed. Both Red Hat and Yellow Dog Linux officially support it. Sony also provides developer kits for Linux. Ripping an ISO of a disc is nothing special. It could be done with a Blu-ray drive in a PC just as easily. Sony knew this when they designed it.

It would be neat if someone could make a bluray virtual drive that could fool the protection into playing on a system such as the PC without the required DRM equipment checks. If we just knew more details about how the protection communicates with the system, someone might be able to fool it into thinking the computer is in compliance. Hmm, probably something that is not possible so excuse my ramblings. :slight_smile:

As it was stated, there’s a loooooong way to go with this blu-ray technology…but I honestly believe people will accept the technology once it’s crack…I mean everyone can copy DvD but we still buy them anyway…

well there already is a well known way to copy blu-ra discs while bypassing the protection. it was found that when you pressed the print screen button on your pc you would in fact get an image. the audio could be extracted from the movie and a picture for every frame taken and combined along with the audio. the only problem with something like that is your gona need one hell of a pc to do this in real time, maybe with the introduction of quad cores early next year we’ll see a realistic way of doing it.

“it was found that when you pressed the print screen button on your pc you would in fact get an image.” With the kind of money we’re talking here, I’m sure the chinese bootleggers won’t mind paying someone to hit printscreen key 8 hours a day for a week. :g

“well there already is a well known way to copy blu-ra discs while bypassing the protection. it was found that when you pressed the print screen button on your pc you would in fact get an image.” where did you hear about this?

The print screen trick won’t give a “true” copy, it would likely still look good, but it takes a capture of an image that has been processed by the computer, its still not a true copy of the digital source video. For meny purists it wouldn’t be a real copy.

I am not a purist, I’d rather have the movie and be able to play it in whatever room I want to, either on my 61" inch TV or home made lcd projector or my TV when I decide to workout in my workout room, what now I need to buy three Blu-Rays? Hell no!

Again the old saying goes: If it can be read - It can be copied.

“well there already is a well known way to copy blu-ra discs while bypassing the protection. it was found that when you pressed the print screen button on your pc you would in fact get an image.” All that is doing is creating a screenshot of a frame. DVD player software has been doing it for years.

God you guys are thick as planks… “As the old saying goes, if it can be read, it can be copied” lol, god your so clever, u silly numpty…old saying? Thats not an “old saying”, thats something you’ve just heard a couple of time on a forum ya dingbat. You aren’t very clever can you copy anything yourself? or are you just good with anecdotes? To the print screen method, yes thats been known for AGES get with the program, its also not possible anymore and was only possible on a pre-release copy of WinDVD - new discs won’t run on this version. Also your an uninformed nonse, quad core processors have been available for the past 2-3 ,months!!! What you talking about “next year”. As well as, why would you need a “quad core processor to do it in real time”??? lol, you people don’t have a clue what your talking about ever. Almost as bad as the article “writers”…uhhh i mean shitters.

Well. Nothing wrong with your English. Sincerely, “guy thick as planks”

Actually I use Slysoft software. AnyDVD HD costs a little bit of money but it can rip any BD or HDDVD and make a copy via my LITEON Blue Ray burner. It is complete 1080P perfect replica. Only problem is the media is so damn expensive. I figure within the first quarter of '09 the BD media will be much cheaper, and thanks to NetFlicks, god bless ‘em, I’ll be burnin’ up an HD storm. With regards to the PS3, using CloneDVD Mobile, you can make a very nice compressed MP4 copy of any movie and load it directly onto the harddrive using a fraction of the space… only downfall is that the processing time take several hours, but you couldn’t tell the difference in quality if you tried.

Don’t worry people.Everything can be broken and bluray will fall as DVd has