Hackers bring Windows 7 'explorer.exe' to Windows 8 - real start menu replacement

vbimport

Hackers bring Windows 7 ‘explorer.exe’ to Windows 8 - real start menu replacement.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/09/8D2sR.jpg[/newsimage]If you want the Windows 7 start menu back in Windows 8, then we've got news for you. Some hackers have found a way to run the 'explorer.exe' from Windows 7 on Windows 8.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/hackers-bring-windows-7-explorer-exe-to-windows-8-real-start-menu-replacement-63711/](http://www.myce.com/news/hackers-bring-windows-7-explorer-exe-to-windows-8-real-start-menu-replacement-63711/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

So if I do this, and apply the patch, it completely breaks Metro, and I can no longer run any Metro apps (info from the developer’s web page)? Doesn’t seem like a very good trade off to me. I’ll stick with my 3rd party start menu add on.

If someone hasn’t already started using the Metro interface, this would be a pretty good solution.

At the moment I have a 3rd party soft that does the trick with start menu. Metro hasn’t ticked me off yet, so I think I’ll keep it as it is.

So, if I apply this patch, it will break Metro? Where do I sign?

I have followed the directions and installed this patch, removed classic shell and I am extremely impressed with the way this works.
Kudos to the person who wrote this.

Ok so the point of going to windows8 to “break” metro and convert it into a sort-of windows7.5 is … what exactly? you lost me there…

I still wonder what exactly is broken in windows7 that windows8 “fixes”…

There are many improvements in Windows 8 over windows 7, just like there were many improvements in Vista over XP.
But if the interface is annoying to the user, then all the other useful items are ignored because of the one perceived flaw.
having used Win 7 for years I find win 8 much faster and better at multitasking, so there is a very good reason for the “upgrade” but like many other people, I prefer not to use the Metro menu.

So tell me, What does the OS actually DO faster?

How does the computer “multi-task” “better”?

THE issue with “multi-tasking” as I see it is the human operator
or having enough screen space to operate multiple applications
at the same time…

The reason most people upgrade to the next release of windows is to keep up with improvements in software design.
Windows 8 improvements have come in the way the OS handles SSD drives and HDD drives, and in the way it allows multi boot of several OSs on one drive.
the reason I encourage people who are willing to “hack” a new OS is to allow more flexibility for all users in the appreciation of that OS.
my previous comments still stand as worthwhile, as Windows 8 itself is worth the upgrade.

[QUOTE=bernievink;2655119]The reason most people upgrade to the next release of windows is to keep up with improvements in software design.
Windows 8 improvements have come in the way the OS handles SSD drives and HDD drives, and in the way it allows multi boot of several OSs on one drive.
the reason I encourage people who are willing to “hack” a new OS is to allow more flexibility for all users in the appreciation of that OS.
my previous comments still stand as worthwhile, as Windows 8 itself is worth the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

People who aren’t crazy (or absolute fools) wait until the OS is proven as "bug free"
and that is generally accepted as 90days AFTER the first service pack is released for any new OS. Windows8 ain’t there yet.

While I applaud outside improvements to any OS it must be demoonstrated that they are stable AND thatt M$ isn’t going to cripple or disable those improvements with the first major batch of updates and/or service pack… Again, not there yet.

Allowing multiple OS installations for multiboot on a single drive?
A)Why?
B)There is NOTHING “new” about that unless you are discussing an ability to use different formatting on the different partitions.
C)If you are so foolish to believe that an OS that still uses ONE “Boorldr” for all operating system installations on a given machine offers you more than a momentary advantage when actually switching from one to another
is an “advantage”… I have little positive to say about that.

multiple O$ installations is “nice” from an “ain’t this cool” standpoint, but it’s inherent dependence on a single boot device sets my nerves on edge.

Of course installing multiple OS’s on seperate drives to run a “multi-boot” setup contains it’s own False-redundancy… generally if whatever drive that contains the bootldr (there is only ONE) in a multi disc multi-boot setup fails generally all you can do is do tata recovery on the drives/OS installs that didn’t fail and reinstall everything from scratch on formatted drives.

Been There Done That and so I’ve already been fooled once…
apparrently you have not… or are still waiting to be fooled twice.

Don’t get me wrong I still set up “multi-OS installs”, but each OS installed is fully independent… but the user must either pull a drive out of a docking station (like a Nintendo cartridge) or physically move a cable from one hard mounted drive (SSD or HDD) to another.

Generally speaking multi-boot OS installations are about enthusiasts looking to impress themselves.

Yeah, I have software and games that won’t run on my primary machine, but that’s why I have other complete computers for both XP and Vista.

Linux? I live in a place called REALITY where >80% of all computers run some variant of Windows and the vast majority of the others run a MAC-OS. all variants of linux combined aren’t statistically significant in desktop computers.

if there is anything “special” about how Win8 handles SSD drives over the way that Win7 does so you need to elaborate.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion but unless you actually try it out.
see this thread http://club.myce.com/f189/ok-own-up-who-actually-likes-windows-8-a-328944/#.UFp1NI3bCYA each person will find the things that go better or not in the newer versions of windows