Hacked FW question

I’ve been reading everyone elses post about these fw with mixed results. My only concern is with ripping speed. I just want to rip dvd’s faster. So is there a problem with the ripping speed with these hacked fw 1.05 & 1.10. I don’t plan on burning 4x dvds at 8x. I’ll just wait to get compatible 8x media. Also will these fw hurt my drive in any way. I know that making it rip faster than it’s intended could shorten it’s life span, but is there anything else? thanks
jfig

Originally posted by jfig
I’ve been reading everyone elses post about these fw with mixed results. My only concern is with ripping speed. I just want to rip dvd’s faster. So is there a problem with the ripping speed with these hacked fw 1.05 & 1.10. I don’t plan on burning 4x dvds at 8x. I’ll just wait to get compatible 8x media. Also will these fw hurt my drive in any way. I know that making it rip faster than it’s intended could shorten it’s life span, but is there anything else? thanks
jfig

I think the 1.10 hacked firmware fucked my drive. In that the write quality is very low now, and previously it was high. This is only a subjective analysis.

I have a Liteon LTD163 DVD rom. Before I flashed my 107 drive, it would load a disc written with 107 in a few seconds. After flashing 107 , it takes 20 - 30 seconds to load the disc and on occasion just wouldn’t read, but if I eject and reload, would usually load after 30secs or so, obviously having troubles reading the tracks. I noticed this with 8x burnt discs , wasn’t’ worried, but also noticed it with 4x (was worried)

I flashed it back to original firmware. and the problem remains. All Discs burnt before hacked flash will load in a few seconds, all discs burnt with hacked flash, and burnt after removing hacked flash take around 30 seconds to load in liteon.

BTW I used the example in the readme to use the hack firmware, the example is dvrflash -vf , I’ve since discovered this actually replaces the kernel of the drive as well as the firmware. Incredibly stupid of that prat to give the only example of what command to use when burning using winxp, being one that replaces the kernel, when for most users, that’s not even required, as most have a pioneer unit, and not a rebranded model. Yeah I know if I had gone to the forums etc, I would have known not to type -vf but only -v but even so , Nil says it should make no difference.

So i’m not sure what stuffed it, maybe it was writing at 8x to a 4x disc, maybe it was this flash kernel, maybe just using the drive with the hacked firmware. But my drive is not the same since I used that firmware. I’d advise everyone to keep away from it. I don’t think Nil really knows what he’s doing, or has a clue what damage he is causing.

PS. Discs Will still write without errors and still playback in my DVD player fine, but I"m putting that down to the fact I bought my DVD player because of it was known to play almost anything. It’s my liteon rom that gives a true indication of the reduction in write quality. Also the fact that my 107 would write and verify a disc at the same speed, eg about 15 mins for write , 15 mins to verify. Now it writes at the same speed as before, but takes about 20-30 mins to read. Indicating less than perfect write. All tests done with same media, and same batch.