Hack My Wii - troy512's official wii hacking guide - discussion thread

vbimport

best guide ever.

not the easiest, most simple or noob friendly.

but the best, most complete, fully updated, guide available.

Got a download mirror?

sorry, i updated the package and forgot that i could not edit posts at this forum. LOL

here is the new package. ill have to contact a mod to change the link in the first post.

changes:

FCE Ultra GX 3.1.3
MPlayer CE v0.77 beta
NeoGamma R8 RC2
NeoGamma Channel Forwarder NSMB Theme
Priiloader v0.3b r51
Snes9X GX 4.1.5
USB Loader GX r910

moved priiloader to step 4

first post updated

[ol]
[li]changed bootmii folder handling.
[/li]
[li]new download link. link is now the Hack My Wii folder. i can now update the package without updating the link.
[/li]
[li]updated some apps.
[/li]
[li]whats in the hack my wii package?
[/li][/ol]

[ul]
[li]AnyTitle Deleter MOD v6b
[/li][li]AnyTitle Deleter database.txt
[/li][li]Bannerbomb alpha v1 and v2
[/li][li]FCE Ultra GX v3.1.3
[/li][li]FCE Ultra GX Forwarder
[/li][li]HackMii Installer v0.6 beta
[/li][li]Homebrew Browser v0.3.8
[/li][li]MPlayer CE v0.77 beta
[/li][li]MPlayer CE Forwarder
[/li][li]NeoGamma R8 RC3
[/li][li]NeoGamma Forwarder
[/li][li]Pimp My Wii v1.32
[/li][li]Priiloader v0.3b r66
[/li][li]Priiloader hacks.ini
[/li][li]Snes9X GX v4.1.5
[/li][li]Snes9X GX Forwarder
[/li][li]USB Loader GX r913
[/li][li]USB Loader GX Forwarder
[/li][li]WAD Manager v1.5
[/li][li]cIOS202-v3-rev4
[/li][li]cIOS222-v3-rev4
[/li][li]cIOS223-v3-rev4
[/li][li]cIOS249-rev17
[/li][li]cIOS250-rev17
[/li][/ul]

Nice . . . thanks.

[QUOTE=troy512;2496329][li]USB Loader GX r913
[/li][li]USB Loader GX Forwarder[/QUOTE]
[/li]
It seems version 919 is out, but there are a lot of issues regarding these and previous versions. What is your advise on upgrading these and other tools for a hacked Wii?

in my experience USB Loader GX updates are pretty stable. i usually update every week or two and only have ever had a few issues.

when loading apps from homebrew channel or using channel forwarders, updating is very safe. keep a copy of your previous version handy in case you encounter any problems.

however updating IOS/cIOS or intrusive apps such as priiloader may be troublesome. updating the cIOS may improve an app but also break proper functionality of another. it could be easy to mistakenly think the app is at fault. or in the case of priiloader you can cause a semi-brick or even full brick if you dont/cant install bootmii/boot2.

as with most things in life, if it aint broke dont fix it. but if you do, be sure to remember what you have changed and be sure you know how to revert the changes. when dealing with IOS/cIOS you do not simply uninstall the updates, you need to reinstall the previous versions.

Thanks, gonna try it as soon as my Wii (black) arrives…

Just two, no doubt stupid (and perhaps something for a separate thread), questions.

I read somewhere that SD card up to max 2 GB can be used… What is the max size of SD Card that I can use here?

Here I read USB harddrive that can be used. Would USB stick also do? USB stick would be faster (and I already have one) and easier to carry with you (though smalle capacity).

Thanks and I will report back the results of my hacking.

To my knowledge a Wii with firmware 4.2 supports SDHC cards (SD cards with a capacity more than 2 Gigabytes, i think 32GB is the max these days). A wii black ususally is 4.2.

A wii with firmware lower than 4.2 supports only 2GB or less.

I have no experience using USB sticks or USB with passive power (power to activate the drive comes from the usb port) connections on the Wii, but i don’t see any real problems.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2498173]To my knowledge a Wii with firmware 4.2 supports SDHC cards (SD cards with a capacity more than 2 Gigabytes, i think 32GB is the max these days). A wii black ususally is 4.2.

I have no experience using USB sticks or USB with passive power (power to activate the drive comes from the usb port) connections on the Wii, but i don’t see any real problems.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply!
I will try with my SDHC card of 16 GB that is in my camera atm. A lightweight USB harddisk might come in handy later…I will also try my 16 GB USB stick and report back.

@Troy: if you feel more comfortable when I split this discussion from this thread, please let me know, I’d be more than happy to fix that

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2498149]Thanks, gonna try it as soon as my Wii (black) arrives…[/QUOTE]

your wii will only read original nintendo disc, you will only be able to play backups using USB Loader and will not be able to play any dvd-video. however you can still do everything else.

I read somewhere that SD card up to max 2 GB can be used… What is the max size of SD Card that I can use here?

the wii system menu version 4.0 and above support sd cards of upto 32 GB. however there are many homebrew apps which work best with 2 GB or lower cards.

Here I read USB harddrive that can be used. Would USB stick also do? USB stick would be faster (and I already have one) and easier to carry with you (though smalle capacity).

for the initial hacking and setup of your wii, using a 2 GB or less card is recommended. once you are comfortably running then you can start using SDHC and USB devices. many apps now support USB and SD alike. i run everything from a fat32 partition on my WBFS hard drive. except MPlayer CE, which works best from sd cards.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2498173]To my knowledge a Wii with firmware 4.2 supports SDHC cards (SD cards with a capacity more than 2 Gigabytes, i think 32GB is the max these days). A wii black ususally is 4.2.

I have no experience using USB sticks or USB with passive power (power to activate the drive comes from the usb port) connections on the Wii, but i don’t see any real problems.[/QUOTE]

system menu 4.0 official supports SDHC cards however many homebrew apps can still read the SDHC cards even if using lower firmware.

i use and have setup many 1 TB Western Digital My Book drives, these drives have external power supply. though i have also setup 1 seagate freeagent 500 GB drive which uses USB power. just be sure to disable any type of sleep or power save modes.

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2498175]@Troy: if you feel more comfortable when I split this discussion from this thread, please let me know, I’d be more than happy to fix that[/QUOTE]

doest matter to me, there is not much activity in this thread anyway. :slight_smile:

Troy, thanks for your answers.
Too bad it won’t play backup discs (just found out I still have a 25 spindle of DVD-R), but chance of succes is higher with USB devices I reckon. Guess I will be looking for a new external HDD then… :wink:

Too bad I wasn’t home yesterday when the postman tried to deliver my Wii…(why do they always assume someone is home during the day…don’t they know some people have to work for a living? :wink: )

Guess I’ll have to get me some games to backup and try the setup above. Much to learn on this topic for me… Have forwarded this guide to friends and colleagues already…but they’re waiting for my experience…they’re even more risk averse than me :wink:

[update]
Just ordered me a MyBook 1TB…if Troy says it works for him, that’s good enough for me :wink:
[/update]

Got my Wii today…installed the hacks according to the above and it appears the Wii is still working :wink:

Found a tutorial on how to prepare external HDD for Wii images…couldn’t find that part in our forums here…
If I understand correctly, I should copy Wii iso files to the special partition (primary - active) on the harddisk and select USB loader to select the image I want to load on the Wii…

[QUOTE=Da_Taxman;2498797]Got my Wii today…installed the hacks according to the above and it appears the Wii is still working :wink:

Found a tutorial on how to prepare external HDD for Wii images…couldn’t find that part in our forums here…
If I understand correctly, I should copy Wii iso files to the special partition (primary - active) on the harddisk and select USB loader to select the image I want to load on the Wii…[/QUOTE]

I definitely need to give this a try.

Downloaded WBFS manager, tried this tutorial and am now copying Wii backups from my PC to my external WBS formatted HDD (500 GB WBFS partition and 500 GB NTFS partition)…

Tomorrow when weekend started, I will try to get the HDD working on the Wii…looking forward to play Mario Kart

here, try this out

Setting Up USB Loader Hard Drive

[QUOTE=troy512;2498910]here, try this out

Setting Up USB Loader Hard Drive[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that is exactly what I had in mind after reading the other stuff. It is great to have it all in one place!

All is working splendidly for me…
Connected HDD and played some backups using USB Loader…

Have to get used to the controls though…but I am happy all works for me. Thanks for your support!

Hacked a black Wii (4.2E firmware) last weekend. The tutorial worked flawlessly. Even gave me some insight about the priiloader. Nifty little app. :slight_smile:

updated the Hack My Wii package, now includes

updated:
-priiloader v0.3 r73
-usb loader gx r919
-cIOS202-v5
-cIOS222-v5
-cIOS223-v5
-cIOS224-v5

downgraded:
-mplayer ce v0.76