H653N update on WinXP x64

Okay. I’m having problems with my burned CDs and don’t have a clue why. Before going out and buying more expensive media (currently using Infiniti Professional and Datasafe Lightscribe), I thought it might be worth trying drivers and firmware.

I’m completely clueless here, so if this is obviously barking up the wrong tree, tell me.

The WIN INQUIRY program gives me:

TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-H653N
HP

And apparently my driver is some Microsoft one from 2002.

Now, there’s a nice shiny newish firmware update on the HP website (which makes things extra confusing, as I gather the H653N is actually a Samsung?). However, it - as well as a program made to determine if a drive is one of a number of faulty H653-Ns which went out and apparently scratch CDs - only works in Windows Vista. Go helpful HP peeps.

I’m not, obviously, about to go installing Windows ****ing Vista.

So yes, I’ve been poking around lots and I feel like I have no more of a clue what I’m doing when I started. Can anyone give me some kind of true idiot’s guide to how I should go about this?

Hi and Welcome![quote=mlleangelique;2218246]Okay. I’m having problems with my burned CDs (…)

The WIN INQUIRY program gives me:

TSSTcorpCDDVDW TS-H653N
HP[/quote]HP OEM version of Samsung SH-S203N.

And apparently my driver is some Microsoft one from 2002.
That’s a non-issue since these drivers are part of the operating system.

Now, there’s a nice shiny newish firmware update on the HP website (which makes things extra confusing, as I gather the H653N is actually a Samsung?).
No need to be confused :slight_smile:
The retail version of this drive is the SH-S203N, for which you can get support including firmware updates from Samsung. For OEM versions (TS-H653N), firmware updates and support is provided by the OEM customer (HP, Dell, and other big name computer manufacturers) only. No support from Samsung for the end customer.

However, it - as well as a program made to determine if a drive is one of a number of faulty H653-Ns which went out and apparently scratch CDs - only works in Windows Vista. Go helpful HP peeps.
I assume, your computer came with Vista preinstalled? Usually, there is no support from bigname computer manufacturer for operating systems the computer was not shipped with.

So yes, I’ve been poking around lots and I feel like I have no more of a clue what I’m doing when I started. Can anyone give me some kind of true idiot’s guide to how I should go about this?
XP 64 is a rather exotic flavour of Windows with limited driver support, so not all things might work, especially if they are hardware related.

To check if your drive is affected from the “scratching discs” issue, temporarily installing the drive in another computer running Vista might be an option. You might also ask HP support if there are other methods to check that (example: take out the drive and check serial #).

If you are not able to flash newer firmware, then the solution would be to extract the firmware .bin file with 7zip (www.7-zip.org) and flash under plain DOS (booted from an USB stick). A DOS flasher is available from Dell (see the firmware chapter of the FAQ mentioned in my signature please).

Michael

Thank you for the welcome and the help!

Hm… I tried to follow things in your FAQ and seem to have managed to flash the drive with the S203N firmware. Unfortunately, though, it doesn’t seem to have made much difference; the CDs I’m burning are still having problems on my decks.

… I have, though, just tried burning one on my iBook, and the more temperamental CD deck - which seems to have problems picking up CDs at all burned using the main 'pute - is currently playing it okay. So it seems there probably is a burning quality issue with the drive downstairs; perhaps I do need to be harassing HP about that scratching thing.

… Unfortunately, no, the 'pute didn’t come from HP, it came from a small retailer custom-made; I seem to recall they left me to install my own OS, thus the x64. Hopefully I can still harass HP into being vaguely helpful; I can’t think of anywhere else I could test the drive out.