H62N-works only in PIO mode

vbimport

Hi. I have a problem with my new LG h62n dvd. It works only in PIO mode. When I turn it to dma it shows UDMA 5 but when put a disk into device the computer freezes until I eject the disk. In PIO mode it’s no problem, everthing works fine.
my PC:
mb- MSI k9neo-v3
hdd-samsung 320gb
ddr-2gb
video- fx8600
cd-lgh62n
Windows XP&Vista

I tried new firmware 01 but it’s the same. In BIOS I tried many different settings to make the dvd works fine in DMA but with no result.

If anyone could help to solve the problem I will be grateful. :confused:

Hi and Welcome!

at first, make sure your Sata controller is set to “IDE compatible” mode in BIOS setup.
Additionally, I’d try if the latest drivers for your mainboard chipset (from nvidia.com) will help.

Michael

I use the latest drivers from nvidia.com.
In BIOS I have four posibilities for SATA:

On-chip IDE controller - enabled/disabled
pci ide busmaster - enabled/disabled
on-chip SATA controller - enabled/disabled
RAID mode - IDE/RAID/AHCI

My cofiguration now is:
On-chip IDE controller - enabled
pci ide busmaster - disabled
on-chip SATA controller - enabled
RAID mode - IDE

But I tried and other options.

In the event viewer I noticed the system error :
Event ID 9. The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

Where I have to search the problem- MB, DVD burner or software?

Thank you!

Hi,[quote=vladinik;2030987]I use the latest drivers from nvidia.com. [/quote]ok.

In BIOS I have four posibilities for SATA:
Try these:

On-chip IDE controller - [B]enabled[/B]/disabled
pci ide busmaster - [B]enabled[/B]/disabled
on-chip SATA controller - [B]enabled[/B]/disabled
RAID mode - [B]IDE[/B]/RAID/AHCI

Not sure, if that works.

In the event viewer I noticed the system error :
Event ID 9. The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

Where I have to search the problem- MB, DVD burner or software?
Since your HDD seems to work fine, there shouldn’t be a problem with the mainboard. But you can try another Sata port for your drive.
Also check the cable if it is properly connected. If in doubt, try another one (Swap with the HDD cable if no other cable is available).

Thank you!
You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

The odds of getting a SATA burner to work on that controller are very low. I’d get a PCI card for the burner.

There’s no such thing as PIO mode in SATA drives, technically, and this is an indication of a faulty controller/BIOS/driver. There are different drivers for RAID vs non-RAID BIOS setting, but in this case it’s not likely to make any difference.

Michael -
I tried the settings you suggest in BIOS - no result,
check and change the sata cables - no result.
Thank you for the help.

Cdan -
Is this means that my MB is damaged? If it is damaged I can return it to the shop-I bought it 2 monts ago.
But if isn’t I will try with pci card. Can you tell me what kind of card will be good for me? I found some cheap cards in ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Port-SATA-1-Port-IDE-PCI-RAID-Controller-Card-P33U_W0QQitemZ220217354129QQihZ012QQcategoryZ74941QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-3-Port-SATA-1-Port-IDE-PCI-RAID-Controller-Card_W0QQitemZ110237487729QQihZ001QQcategoryZ74941QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But I don’t know what to look for? :rolleyes:
If you can help it will be great!

A few folks here are using THIS CARD. Don’t buy something off Ebay, you need this specific SATA chip, and this specific memory chip on the card. Once you get it, you’ll need to flash it to IDE type BIOS and install the correct IDE type driver. There’s threads on how do do this here, as well as elsewhere.

There’s nothing wrong with your MB, it just doesn’t support SATA optical drives, as most don’t. So you either get a IDE optical drive, or a card like this one. The cost of an IDE burner isn’t much greater than the cost of a PCI card.

[quote=CDan;2031156]There’s nothing wrong with your MB, it just doesn’t support SATA optical drives, as most don’t.[/quote]:confused: Recent Nvidia chipsets for socket AM should do fine normally.
In case you are right, and this chipset doesn’t support Sata ODD, then the mainboard should be returned as faulty.

AMD/ATI 690/SB600 does nicely btw :slight_smile:

Michael

Thank you for your help. I will try to change the dvd burner or MB in the shop or buy a pci card. :confused:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2031214]:confused: Recent Nvidia chipsets for socket AM should do fine normally.
In case you are right, and this chipset doesn’t support Sata ODD, then the mainboard should be returned as faulty.

AMD/ATI 690/SB600 does nicely btw :slight_smile:

Michael[/QUOTE]

This board doesn’t really qualify as “recent”, but any Nvidia board is hit and miss at best for optical drives.