H55N wont read DVDs

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H58N Super Multi DVD-Brenner mit SecurDisc Funktion. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello.

I have one huge issue with my LG H55N.

After a year of quite intensive usage, it suddenly stopped reading most od the DVDs.

Ive tried cleaning the DVDrom, upgrading firmware to 1.06 and nothing. I also tried various blank DVDs, from Verbatim, Imation, Traxdata and still the same. It barely can read blank DVDs, and I have to reinsert it few times, before it recognizes that there is a blank DVD in the drive. And after burning, it takes 20 or 30 (if I’m lucky) tries to successfully read that burned DVD.

With CDs, everything is OK.

Its also interesting that only PRINCO DVDs work every single time they are inserted (I have few of them).

I am on XP SP2, and tried reading on W7 RC, and the situation is the same.

Maybe modifying firmware would help? Because it is strange that it can read PRINCO DVDs, and not other media, which makes me think that this is some kind of firmware issue.

This is the drive specification from DVDInfo Pro

Maybe modifying the fw with MCSE (speed patch, or maybe RPC, or sth else) would help?

Anyone?

I tried modifying the firmware file, and still the same =(

I just went through a similar thing with my GSA-55N.
You will find many things to try doing a Google search for “DVD-ROM troubleshooting”.

One of many checks: run MSINFO32.EXE. When it opens click on “System Drivers” under "Software Environment"
Check if both “cdfs” and “udfs” are Running. These are the CD and DVD file system drivers. If not:
Open Regedit and go to:HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services.
Scroll down to Cdfs and in right panel open “Start” and change to 2.
Then do the same for Udfs. REBOOT

Yet, the thing that worked for me was DVD internal cleaning and oiling.

Shutdown and remove the DVD drive. Remove the 4 Phillips head screws from the bottom and remove the bottom plate. Use a large paperclip to push into the small hole in the front to release the tray, and extend the tray all the way out.

Now take a flat screw driver to push in the three tabs that hold the face plate, and remove ( the tray will hold it ).

Remove the top cover. Inspect the inside. Take a can of air and gently (from a distance) blow out and dust, etc. Be careful not to damage the laser lens.

Look at the rails and worm screw that control the laser position. Clean these. I used WD-40 on a cotton cloth.

Time to lube. Silicone spray lube is good, yet my favorite is Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. If using this follow instructions to shake well and let the Teflon dry after application.

You want to lube both rails and the worm screw.

Gently, yet firmly, move the laser sled back and forth the full extent of the rails until it moves very easily.

Now you gently clean the laser lens (90% isopropyl will do) and reassemble the DVD. Re-install.

Tried everything.

Nothing.

udfs was not running, now it is, but still the same.

Anyone has some other idea?

Maybe some owner of this LG has similar issues.