GWA-4166B makes DVD+RW into DVD-ROM

Greetings,

few days ago I wanted to burn a backup of my important files on a DVD+RW as usually. But Nero said I cannot erase because it’s DVD-ROM. So I tried to force to erase in Alcohol and reset the bitsetting but no success.
Besides, my drive doesn’t support bitsetting at all, I cannot set anything.
But I thought there might be an error because I used in my old DVD+RW drive. So I bought new DVD+RW (Verbatim) and tried to burn. Nero started working, added files and started formating the DVD. At the time when it was creating borders, it gave me an error “Cannot follow track” and quit. And the DVD+RW was AGAIN as DVD-ROM!
I don’t know how come, burning DVD-+R is fine and no problems…

Can anyone help me, please? Thanks a lot

Hi,

If the files are really important, then you should use DVD-RAM together with Panasonic’s DVD-RAM driver instead of using DVD+RW, as the latter isn’t very reliable.
EDIT: I just saw, you are using an OEM drive, that might be crippled and thus be lacking DVD-RAM support. So you should check that at first.

But Nero said I cannot erase because it’s DVD-ROM. So I tried to force to erase in Alcohol and reset the bitsetting but no success.
Uninstall Alcohol, and see if that works.

Besides, my drive doesn’t support bitsetting at all, I cannot set anything.
It does bitsetting automagically. Please read the FAQ in the LG section.

Michael

Drinking and driving don’t mix. Seriously I think the alcohol program is the problem. If you search you might find a setting you can change.

DVD+RW works for me. I ain’t convinced that the recording medium is any different from DVD-RAM. For important backups I use new ones.

Hi,

that depends on the data you want to backup. How do you add let’s say 5 MB of documents to your disc? Firing up your burning app and add another session? I just insert the disc and drop the files there :slight_smile:
And btw DVD-RAM is totally different from DVD+RW, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

Michael

I agree that might be the problem - there’s a setting in Alcohol called “Hide ATIP” or “Ignore media type”, which if enabled can make burning software think that the disc isn’t writeable. :slight_smile:

Yes, DVD-RAM seems like a good idea. So far though, I haven’t thought of a good reason to shell out $25 for 5 of them.

And I’m still not convinced that for archiving they will last any longer than DVD+RW. Maybe so, but I don’t know.

I’m told they use a phase-change recording layer similar to DVD+RW. It could be of better quality, but I don’t know.

I’m told they can be re-written 100,000 times. I’m told DVD+RW can be re-written 1000 times. I take it all with a grain of salt. I usually write my archives 1 time anyway.

I don’t know if there is any way to check the burn quality of these discs.

Yes, it is convenient to be able to stick a disc in the drive and drag files onto it. I don’t usually add files to my archives after the first burn. I do use DVD+RW multisession to move files between computers. I might try DVD-RAM for this. I like to use pocket size mini DVDs for this and I haven’t seen any pocket size DVD-RAM.